Single Parent And Possible Progressive Christian

Greetings and blessings to this forum.

I live and work in the Cincinnati, Ohio area and am a single adoptive parent of two kids. Being a singe parent is definitely a spiritual path, and as the title of this post suggests, I am increasingly seeing Progressive Christianity as a good fit for me. Having read several posts in this forum, it comes as no surprise that I, quite independently, arrived at this place after reading authors such as John Spong and Marcus Borg. I still find the idea of calling myself a Christian uncomfortable at times because of its association with the fundamentalist and evangelical movements. I would forever be explaining what kind of Christian I am and how exactly is that Christian. Never the less, maybe it is time that I do so.

I find myself smack in the middle of a Midlife "Realignment". I say "realignment" instead of "crisis" because I can't afford to be in crisis, it would be too unstable for my kids. Rather, I am making a conscious decision to seek joy and happiness for the second half of my life rather than status and achievement. In this way, Progressive Christianity also looks very attractive. I find myself stuck, however, when trying to find a church community, other than online. I have been attending a local Methodist Church - thinking they would be the least fundamentalist - however it is not working out. They still preach the "literal" meaning of the Bible too much for my liking. I have heard about, but never attended, the Episcopal Church. I'm sure there are some Episcopalians here, so any thoughts on that?

Anyway, I am hopeful that this forum can be a "kind of church" for me. I hope to read and post semi-regularly and to get to know others.

Peace,

Derek

Derek,

Welcome. I am confident that there are several progressive churches in the Cincinnati area - Episcopalian, PCUSA, etc. And, of course, there would be United Universalists. Maybe the issue would be how progressive.

I have decided that I do not need to agree 100% as long as there is nothing I object to and enough that I do agree with. I attend a PCUSA church and it more than meets these criteria.

George

Derek,

Welcome to the forum, and I know it is a place where you will find fellowship.

I'm way over here in Western Australia so can't help you out with a Church. That said, I don't attend a Church here either, but this forum meets my needs for now.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Derek, we seem to have a lot of similarities. I too am finding that Progressive Christianity is a good fit for me. I also find myself having a 're-alignment' of sorts in various aspects of life.

I am continuing to go to my Baptist church, which certainly isn't progressive, but not too conservative. Like George said above, I'm finding that I just need to let the stuff i don't agree with go, and take from the service what is meaningful to me. As only a few people know that i am no longer a 'proper' christian, my future involvement in the church is still a bit uncertain, but i am happy to continue as i and my family all enjoy going.

welcome

Jonny

I have been in the same Episcopal Church since '79, they embraced my "unwed pregnancy" in '88 and I am dealing with the rejection of my 23 year old son of church as well as other social institutions! A great way to judge a church is its Sunday School and Education ; good luck in your quest! My motherhood was an accident, but the most rewarding part of my life thus far.

Kay

Dereck, welcome and I am impressed with your journey. It seems you have achieved a lot to realize that happiness comes with a reason, a cost and reaction, but bliss has no precursors, cause or stimulus. May your moments of Bliss increase as you get closer to your destination. Your children are lucky to have such a parent.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Jonnyb - I read some of your posts and think we read the same authors and are very much in a similar place. George - yes, I feel much the same. I don't have to agree 100%, as long is there isn't something I strongly object to. A central issue for me, though not the only one, is that I am gay. A church for me would have to be progressive enough to accept that - and NOT in the spirit of "we welcome all sinners to our church," but in the spirit of "homosexuality is not a sin." I also accept that even in an accepting church, not 100% of the congregants will agree with that statement.

Anyway, I am not here to debate homosexuality, but to embrace a new life and a better me. I strongly feel this is the Christian Way, and I am ready for it. One example of a way I am trying to change: in the work place I want to see my primary relationship to everyone I work with as "personal" not "professional", in that I am first above all things a person, not an employee. This smacks in the face of workplace ethics, but I am weary of the dual personality of "work place" vs. "personal life.". Of course this doesnt mean I am trying to creat work place drama, but rather work place kindness. It is about integrity. I want to feel like the same person everywhere. I have met people like this and I greatly admire them.

By the way, there is an Episcopal church nearby that I am curious about. I might drop by sometime in the near future and see what it is like. Thank you, again, everyone for being so welcoming.

A central issue for me, though not the only one, is that I am gay. A church for me would have to be progressive enough to accept that - and NOT in the spirit of "we welcome all sinners to our church," but in the spirit of "homosexuality is not a sin." I also accept that even in an accepting church, not 100% of the congregants will agree with that statement.

Derek, I am straight but would not associate with a church that does not accept all (in the spirit you describe). This would fail my 'object-to' criterion.

George

I feel thanks to progressive Christians the theory of sin in the church is changing in a more enlightening way as we grow and educate ourselves. I think scince has broaden or perspective showing us that everything is in balance positive and negative and that they are like two sides of a piece of pater where one comes with the other. Soon we break down our experiences not to make ourselves feel guilt, but to feel the joy as we see all experiences good and bad have a purpose to make us whole or holy.

Derek, I am straight but would not associate with a church that does not accept all (in the spirit you describe). This would fail my 'object-to' criterion.

George

I am with George on this. I would not feel at home with any church that treated anyone any different to how you describe. In the UK you do get a few churches of differing denominations that are progressive/liberal and if you were here I would recommend the Unitarians or the Quakers but I am not sure about the US, so please be guided by the folks on the forum who know what to look for there.

Anyway I would like to warmly welcome you Derek. It is good to hear from you. I have found no one here that thinks being gay is a sin and a number of us found our way here because we could not stomach such prejudice, so feel at ease. It is good to have you as one of us. Welcome friend.