Hi

penguinchik1

Like many of you probably have, just finished reading Sins of Scripture. Began reading the Bible in earnest, but the farther I got into it, the less I liked it. Finally put it away in disgust when the writer said that David was a man after God's own heart. Found it repugnant that God would want to be compared to a promiscuous, murdering social climber. After reading Sins of Scripture, it put all of the hurtful misogynous tone of the entire text into its proper context, and I no longer feel opressed by 'God's Word.'

I am an novelist, whose husband does not support my career. To read that I must obey every command of his, or be in sin, then hear Jesus's story of how God is intensely displeased if you bury your talent, leaving it unused, made me feel that God set up a trap to snare me. There was, according to these two completely incompatible commands, no salvation for me. At that point, I felt that the Bible was not written for me. Still don't, even after reading Bishop Spong's book. Still, women being intensely spiritual creatures, I seek to know God, to know the Truth, and will continue to search. The journey has just begun. . .

Welcome. I hope you will join in the discussions here.

I think it is wrong to think of the Bible as a single voice ("The Bible says . . ."). It represents the varied perspectives and experiences of many different people living in very different circumstances over a thousand or so years.

George

I think it is wrong to think of the Bible as a single voice ("The Bible says . . ."). It represents the varied perspectives and experiences of many different people living in very different circumstances over a thousand or so years.

George

...nor does it make sense that such a God would 'close the book' so to speak in the 2nd century CE.

Hi Penguinchik,

I look on the bible as the word of man writing about their journey to discover God rather than the word of God given to man. As such (IMO) it is flawed as all people are and reflects the varied cultures it comes from . I also agree with George and Paul's comments. I would advise you to feel free to pick and choose what you take from the views of those who contributed to the bible and what you choose to ignore. I think that is what all people do although some do not like to admit it in my experience.

Welcome to the forum. I am pleased you have joined us and I hope you feel welcome here.

Hi Penguinchik,

So happy that you have found this community. Your thoughts in your opening post are not dissimilar to many others who have found a resting place here on their journey. May you find some clarity and true friends while you are here to move forward on your journey of discovery.

Love in Spirit,

Joseph

Good point. Maybe we should embrace Islam or Mormonism with more recent revelations :-)

George

Maybe the good bits anyway, George. I think I'll skip the bits about wearing a Mormon 'garment', and/or the Hijab for my wife (said with respect to those who do wish to wear these).