Stumbling In...

Raven

Hi everyone,

Greetings from southern Ontario!

I'm on a path, and while I'm not exactly sure where I'll end up, I think this is a good place to start.

A bit of background:

I was raised in the United Church, drifted toward more evangelical Christianity for a *very* short time, ran away, drifted toward Buddhism for a *very* short time, learned some useful things but didn't feel it, and now I'm here. Wandering back? Maybe.

I think my big issue at this juncture is reconciling the love I have for the Spirit and the faith I have with the socio-political issues. I believe in God, but I'm also pro-life, entirely supportive of same-sex relationships/child adoption, and not in line with the misogyny found in some aspects of Christianity.

Sometimes I feel that, if we as humans are (hopefully!) evolving, and the world around us is evolving, is it possible for God to evolve too? I cannot reconcile myself with some parts of the Bible - I just can't. Other parts, other aspects, draw me in with a great force.

Anyway I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and doing some serious learning and searching! :D

HI, Raven,

Sometimes I feel that, if we as humans are (hopefully!) evolving, and the world around us is evolving, is it possible for God to evolve too?

Definitely yes. God becoming and the universe becoming are dancing the evolutionary waltz. Evolving together

Dutch

Sometimes I feel that, if we as humans are (hopefully!) evolving, and the world around us is evolving, is it possible for God to evolve too? I cannot reconcile myself with some parts of the Bible - I just can't. Other parts, other aspects, draw me in with a great force.

Hi Raven,

Welcome. Eh, your story is not dissimilar from many others here. You should feel right at home in this community. From my perspective, we as humans indeed are evolving. Neither can i reconcile with many parts of the Bible , yet i find great inspiration and mystery in other parts. I would not exclude other books from that statement.

As for God evolving, i personally can not say. To me, and in my experience, God is beyond the concept of time. So while it appears Creation which is one with God is evolving, i see God as complete already and beyond any concept of time or evolving or for that matter 'becoming' (as in any process of change) . That is just my personal perspective at this time and not to be taken for more than one mans view.

Again "Bienvenue dans la communaute" to our neighbor from across the border.

Joseph

Thank you for the warm welcomes!

It's nice to not feel like the only one in the room with questions. Despite growing up in a church environment, I feel these days like I'm starting over again, from the beginning.

JosephM - your concept of a God beyond the concept of time is interesting. Do you mean that, in this sense, humanity and nature are evolving constantly, but God is so far ahead of us all that His evolution is already complete? Or that God has been complete from the beginning, and we're just catching up? I haven't heard it like that before.

Dutch - that's kind of the image I get as well. God gave man free will, so as we make choice and changes to ourselves and those around us, I wonder if God also ebbs and flows in response?

JosephM - your concept of a God beyond the concept of time is interesting. Do you mean that, in this sense, humanity and nature are evolving constantly, but God is so far ahead of us all that His evolution is already complete? Or that God has been complete from the beginning, and we're just catching up? I haven't heard it like that before.

Raven,

Humanity and nature are by observation and history evolving as created creatures/phenomena. This happens in what we all refer to as time. It seems to me that God/Reality is not created nor subject to any such concept as evolution, which implies and requires time and change. In my subjective experience, nothing more can be said of God other than "God IS" . God to me is experienced with such words as Home, Complete, Perfect Peace, Permanence and lacking in nothing. Change or evolution then to me is not an attribute to apply to the Divine.

Joseph

Thank you Joseph for expanding on your ideas. I like the way you've explained it. I'm not sure exactly what I think, but I love hearing other people's ideas and thoughts. You've given me a lot to think about. I knew I was going to like this place!

Raven thank you for sharing your journey with us and please post so we can learn from your insights. Yes, we have evolved biologically and now we are expanding, enlightening and evolving spiritually. I feel we are already evolved, but must become aware of it. Your curiosity and willing to expand without fear is the sign of a true aspirant. Your spirit inspirers.

Soma,

You are very kind. I appreciate the opportunity to ask questions without being judged and to seek a path of peace. I have always had a curiosity about God, and as I'm getting older, thinking about children, family, and mortality, a lot more questions and desires come to mind. Every answer begets a question, or so it would seem. From what I've seen here so far, this is a place of warmth and welcome, and I'm very glad to be here. Thank you for your generous words and your encouragement. :D

I feel it takes when people meet about 20 minutes when a pool of consciousness forms so the group whether it is a party or group meditation start drawing from that pool. Family does the same thing, but in a more intimate setting. I have found the collective consciousness is greater than any individual part or all the individual parts together. I feel we have that here on some threads where even when I post in respond to other post the collective thought comes through me so it is the collective posting and not me unless my ego gets involved. My children are grown so my family life is changing and mortality is getting closer, but my attitude has grown closer to accepting and looking forward to the experience of a new beginning.

I agree with your oint - a collective consciousness can be so much stronger than everyone working by themselves.

It's funny that you mention mortality, as that's something that's been on my mind a bit lately. I'm still in my 20's, but my partner and I are hoping to start a family soon. Once that idea took root, I find myself looking at things from a (future) mother's perspective, and it all seems very different.

Welcome Raven. I am with you there but I go with a belief in no one fully understanding God. For me faith is a journey of discovery rather than the arrival at a single revelation. I do not accept that the bible is the word of God and see it more like the word of people who have gone before talking about their personal journies and how they personally saw God, which maybe right or wrong, but they talk of the sense of something beyond this world. Which is something I can relate to, but that does not mean I have to accept everything they have said. I am sure you will find your way of understanding things too and I look forward to hearing more from you. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by JosephM
Deleted unnecessary full quote of first post for welcome thread....JM 04-17-12

Thanks, Pete and Steve, for your ideas.

*Something* is evolving - me, God, the world around us all...I'm not sure yet. Something is different. I guess part of my journey is to figure it out.

First; welcome to the Forum.

Second, I think it more important that Christians evolve.

It's a sad commentary (and the main reason I am no longer a Christian) that women are still largely marginalized in just about every denomination of Christianity.

I converted to Judaism, which has, for the most part, evolved past discrimination against women and minorities. Yeah, there are the Hasidim, but they are kind of viewed as an archaic anomaly in the Jewish community. Zionists, too.

More importantly, Judaism encourages evolution. The Talmud is a beautiful testimony to this process. Had it continued past the Shoah, it would have recorded the gradual movement away from mysticism and mythology and embrace a more secular understanding of faith.

NORM

Norm,

I couldn't agree more. It is important for the church (every church, any church, all the churches) to evolve in ways that make people feel part of the community and involved. My church (United Church) has a small population, and most of the regular attendees are elderly. Not to be macabre, but as they pass away, our chuch is experiencing a real dip in population. It's unfortunate.

However, the United Church (generally) is one of the more forward-thinking churches, or at least that has been my experience with my own church and the other United Churches we used to do things with. Our church has a female minister, for example, and gay and lesbian people are welcome there too. I have no idea if they have been performing same-sex marriages (I've been absent for quite a while) but if not, it would genuinely surprise me.

Christianity as a whole (the mighty umbrella) has a pretty misogynist history. It doesn't mean it has to keep going that way into the future. I would like to see more churches move to accept women as equal parts of the church community.