Dreams

PaulS

I'm interested in what members make of dreams. Are they God talking to you, are they the universal consciousness trying to guide you, are they simply a process carried out by our bio-computer (i.e. brain)?

Do you try to interpret them? If so, how? Or do you just write them off?

Cheers

Paul

Dreams to my mind are a stage of consciousness somewhere between the unconscious inner blackness of deep sleep and the fully conscious; fully conscious being when the mind is open to and self aware through the external senses. Dreams then are when the line between the unconcsious mind "leaks" thoughts into the conscious mind during the inbetween state mentioned previously. Something along those lines.....maybe.

Regards

Paul

Paul,

To me, dreams are just another experience in a related reality with different perceived limitations..

Are they God talking to you? I would say no more or less than this reality talking to you.

Are they meaningful to the waking state? From my experience, they are inter-related and certain dreams may have significance if interpreted more by feeling than images. Are they worth interpreting? It's probably a personal opinion but for myself i recorded and studied them for years and i find them a detour in my personal journey. I see myself no better off for all the time and study and work i put into it. except to say it was a detour that was necessary for me to discover that. With practice, dreams can be be consciously manipulated and limitations of the flesh exceeded in them but it seems to me it is was more entertainment than anything else.

On rare occasions, future events were revealed in symbolism but without complete knowledge and the wisdom to go along with the knowledge, it was seldom beneficial to me when placed in action. (imo , a word of knowledge from a dream, without the wisdom of how to act on it is of little use) I no longer record dreams or work to interpret them. I experience them on their level and let them pass as i do experiences in the waking state.

Just one man's take and experience with dreams.

Joseph

Jung had a lot to say about dreams. I believe he said that dreams are our subconcious at work. I think dream interpretation can be beneficial - as long as we don't try to read too much into a symbol - sometimes a dog is just a dog. If you pay attention to your dreams, and consider them in context of what's going on in your life, I think you can learn quite a bit about yourself. I try to remember dreams and will use interpretations methods I learned in counseling. I can't remember specific titles, but there are some really good books about Jung and dream interpreting dream images.

This Web site might interest you: http://www.dreammoods.com/dreaminformation/dreamfacts.htm

Edited by Yvonne

I'd say and and or all those possiblities...

For me at least, not all my dreams are 'alike'...they vary widely in detail, intensity, content, percieved signficance...while many seem merely vague, diconnected random 'firing' of my brain and thought processes, senseless jumbles of brief sequences that are fleeting and quickly forgotton upon awakening. some are quite different. Over my life experience, there have been those the seemed of particularly dramatic signficiance, the impressed so deeply into my mind, I can recall in great deatail even many years after, and that have seemed to have some 'prophetic' qualities to them that was either immediately or later, aparant to me.

Of those kind, many have been "explanable" to me upon consideration of how events after played out in my life and very likely the sort relevant in psychoanalysis, in which some part of my mind had gathered and processed and analyzed information from various points in both my concious, sub-, and un- concious mind, observations, thoughts, and intuitions, to "present" to my concious awareness, through the dream, a "package" of something going on, either within my own psychological or mental state, or events in my surrounding environment, something I had been "missing", just "not seeing'', consciously, for whatever reason or reasons.

An example, involving a 'reality event', was a night of very vivid and dramatic dream sequences, involving both 'reality-like scenarios' as well as symbolic elements, all relating to my husband's unfaithfulness and involvement with another woman he was leaving me for, including some elements that seemed 'warning' me of 'plotting of schemes' that involved threat to my material/financial security and assets (separate assets I'd held prior to the marriage) as well...at the time, I wasn't recognizing a serious problem in or threat to my marriage or assets. I awakened from that feeling very distraught and devastated. As events played out, within 6 mos of that night of dreams, many of the elements, both 'realisitic' and 'symbolic', began to play out in little ways in actual events, incidents in my relationship with my husband, various of his remarks and behaviors. The marriage ended about 18 mos after that night of dreams, and the reality played out so closely to the elements in those dreams there's no rejecting the signficance of that night of dreams. Some of that I can rationalize as truly my sub-conscious observing and making note of things i had been missing in my conscious awareness and thought, but some elements defy that explanation, seemed to have involved things i couldn't have possible known, that even I don't think HE knew, at the time, events that hadn't taken place yet, that would inlfuence how it he did what he did. The most clearly evident 'positive value' in that experience was that for the 'warning' in those dreams, I was able to take steps, actions, that not only protected my financial/material assets, but cut him off at the pass, manuever myself and my assets into protected positions, so to speak, before he tried to move in some direction that might have otherwise been effective in his maneuvers to attempt to 'releive' me of some of them. And, many were things I'd probably not thought to do, involved choices I'd not have made, had it not been for the warnings in those dreams. None of the involved outright confrontation with him, or obvious 'reaction' to anything he said or did connected to them, that he seemed to be able to recognize as my having taken them deliberately with intent of protecting them against him...I would just watch him grow more and more frustrated as each of his little 'schemes' as I'd observe he was trying to pull just fizzled out on him. Perhaps the most dramtically surprising and 'prophetic' part I can't see how I could have known by any 'normal' means, was that when I later saw a picture of the woman, after he left, she looked exactly as she had in the dreams, even though she lived half way across the country, and as best as I could determine, he had not even met her yet at the time I had the dreams.

So while I wouldn't say I always "believe" a certain such vivid and dramatic dream is "truly prophetic" I have learned to not dismiss them, let them influence some of my choices.

Jenell

The evidence seems quite conclusive that dreams are a product of brain functions and that, with one exception, all mammals dream. This should not, however, disappoint those who connect dreams with a variety of spiritual or religious experiences. This can be seen by reversing the causal assumptions concerning dreams. It is not what caused the dream, but what new response does the dream cause. Perhaps there is some aspect of your life that concerns you but you just failed pay much attention to it, and so on. Open the dream content to your imagination and see what happens. Perhaps it will allow you to construct a better pespective or new general outlook.

• Upvote 2

Myron, I agree. For the most part, my own personal life example I gave above was exactly that. I did not 'want' to 'see' things I should have been paying more attention to, and I was letting myself rationize away those I was noticing, even though to be honest, I knew some of his 'explanations' for some thing that didn't seem right weren't reasonable. In some ways that marriage was a disaster, but in others, I was able to use the experience to grow and learn in many ways. One thing it certainly did, was to help expose to myself some of my own weaknesses that had been tripping me up in unpleasant and self-defeating ways all my life, forcing me to recognitze and confront them.

Jenell

The evidence seems quite conclusive that dreams are a product of brain functions and that, with one exception, all mammals dream. This should not, however, disappoint those who connect dreams with a variety of spiritual or religious experiences. This can be seen by reversing the causal assumptions concerning dreams. It is not what caused the dream, but what new response does the dream cause. Perhaps there is some aspect of your life that concerns you but you just failed pay much attention to it, and so on. Open the dream content to your imagination and see what happens. Perhaps it will allow you to construct a better pespective or new general outlook.

Very well said.

Jung had a lot to say about dreams. I believe he said that dreams are our subconcious at work. I think dream interpretation can be beneficial - as long as we don't try to read too much into a symbol - sometimes a dog is just a dog. If you pay attention to your dreams, and consider them in context of what's going on in your life, I think you can learn quite a bit about yourself. I try to remember dreams and will use interpretations methods I learned in counseling. I can't remember specific titles, but there are some really good books about Jung and dream interpreting dream images.

This Web site might interest you: http://www.dreammood.../dreamfacts.htm

An interesting little list there Yvonne. I can very rarely recall having dreams, it seems years since I've had one. According to the list this means I have a protein defficiancy or a personality disorder! I know I haven't got a protein defficiancy.... :)

I am very interested in Jung's work. Can you recommend any literature on the topic for someone like me who isn't an academic, if you catch my drift! I've read snippets here and there and always thought he was very insightful about many things. I know he influenced many western (spiritual) thinkers like Alan Watts and others.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Dreams play a major role in mythology. Joseph Campbell devotes the entire first secion of The Mythic Image to the subject under the heading "The World As Dream." This is an excellent resource as it is Campbell at his best. For those interested in symolism in art, this book is a treasure of reproductions form both East and West .... just stunning.

Other quotes from Campbell:

We are such stuff

As dreams are made on, and our little life

Is rounded with a sleep.

Shakespeare, "The Tempest"

There is a dream dreaming us.

A Kalihari Bushaman

The butterfly dream is from Chuange-tzu

(Introduction to The Mythic Image, Section I, "The World As Dream")

That we come to this earth to live is untrue: We come but to sleep, to dream.

Aztec Poem, Annoymous

Inthe dark...vit B6 deficiency...affects dreams and mood. Has been shown in some studies as effective in treating severe clinical depression as any anti-depressant drug.

Best to supplement by adding more foods rich in B6...if taking supplemental B6, a bit too high a dose can give you some pretty wild 'dream trips'. Some people notice the B6 effect on dreaming without realizing why it happens...as when someone connects that when they eat certain foods, they are more likely to have vivid dreams.

Jenell

i cannot recall just now the books I've read on dreams, but I do know that some of the dream symbols as interpreted by Jung use myth symbology, archtypes, and cultural symbols. And, like i said, sometimes a dog is just a dog and red is just red. I will try to find the title of the book about dreams and Jungian interpretation for you. I think no matter the dream or the dreamer, it is always important to interpret symbols in context. Yes, dreaming of an attic might mean something spiritual, or it might just mean your attack leaks! (Or in my case, there might be bats in the belfry!) I also recall in one book I read, that the dreamer really is the best person to interpret the dream, maybe with the help of a counselor or spiritual director.

When I was in my 20's and in therapy, I had a recurring dream about being in labor. When I reconciled the issues in a relationship I was working on at the time, I had the dream again. Only in this one the person who I was having problems with was there and I actually gave birth. Whoa. It didn't take a whole lot to figure out what THAT dream was about.

Edited by Yvonne

I have not studied dreams academically. It seems my dreams can usually be interpreted and the symbols or events within them directly relate to my life. Mine are highly symbolic, either in the actions or symbols in them. Sometimes I don't know what to make of them and sometimes I don't know if they really mean anything. The ones that make sense sometimes require some figuring out and usually point to something that takes up my time and thoughts during the day or over a period of time. A large anaconda that was lying around living quarters, being a menace and needing to be removed but nonetheless was not a direct threat, but a direct problem, was my dissertation. I finished my dissertation, so I don't see much of that snake any more. Something else will come along, though, as it always does. I suppose if one were seeking something spiritually then they might hear from a divine, but I think they are our minds are simply processing things that are eventful or important in life. Interestingly enough, John Wesley insisted that we be pure in thought and he included dreams in this. This raises some other questions, I suppose, and many find this a bit amusing.

What i think makes it more complicated is that while many symbols have some commonality to all, they have different meanings to different people based on their conditioning and life experiences. IE Certain symbols or situations represent a fear to some while they may represent a challenge to others. Dream interpretation is no easy task in my experience unless it is given one as a gift. In vivid dreams, a mountain to one is an obstacle and to another may represent an elevated state. In others it may just be bad food or gibberish. :) One can spend a lifetime studying dreams and symbols but as i previously said, i believe for the most part they are best just experienced and left alone unless one knows/is given the meaning by the Spirit. I found for myself that dreams can be a time consuming detour to, in my case, a dead end on ones spiritual journey. Interesting, yes they are, but where do they lead in the journey to Truth? Just my opinion for consideration.

Joseph

Dutch,

I too have had dreams in the past that seem to relate to a situation in my life, and when that part of my life has moved on, those dreams have ceased.

What prompted me to start this thread is that the other night I had a dream that I felt could have value for me concerning direction in my career. It felt like that, it's theme was like that, but I don't know how to interpret it (if in fact it is interpretable) which led me to wondering what others thought about interpreting dreams.

I appreciate everybody's input.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulS

I've always had very vivid, interesting dreams - actually, I've always been prone to nightmares too...over-active imagination, I guess.

I think the options everyone has posted are all possible, and likely to be true. Sometimes I'll have a dream related to work, if work has been on my mind lately - that's usually the obvious one. Stressful times usually manifest themselves in dreams where I "can't" - can't speak, can't move, can't be heard/seen by others, which to me seems to point to that powerless feeling. Elements of good books or movies I've been engrossed in lately will come out, too - I can't tell you how many direwolf dreams I've had since getting into the Game of Thrones.

However, I think in other cases, dreams are an opportunity for our minds, and maybe our hearts/souls, to work things out without our consciousness interrupting. The truth of our fears, secret hopes, insecurities, can come out in our dreams without us judging ourselves (until we wake!) because we aren't able to. Sometimes I've had dreams where I have woken up and gone, "Oh.... THAT's a solution to that problem!"

We can think and do amazing things when we don't stifle ourselves by being awake!

• Upvote 1

Paul,

In my experience, if you had the dream and it felt significant, the work of the dream is done already. Even if you are not conscious of what it was saying to you, you will, in my view, make the right decision for yourself in that area. The subconscious will bring it about. That is why i am no longer perplexed by dreams as i was for years. If you are given the interpretation to your conscious mind, that is good. if not, that is good also. The dream has fulfilled its function. but if not , you will have it again and again.

That is just my take,

Joseph

Well that certainly takes all the hard work out of it, Joseph :)

As it happens, I am making a change in my career (same company, slightly different direction - from HSE management to Project management, which still entails HSE anyway). Let's see how things pan out in a year or so.

Thanks

Paul

I think dreams are on the threshold between sleeping and waking. They are what our brain does to ease us or shock us into wakefulness. I don't think they are anything more than our imaginations out of control, kind of like a naturally occurring hallucinations.

Edited by Harry