Secular Theology - Are We Second Or Third Generation?

from Wikipedia

The field of secular theology, a subfield of liberal theology advocated by Anglican bishop John A. T. Robinson somewhat paradoxically combines secularism and theology. Recognized in the 1960s, it was influenced both by

• neo-orthodoxy of Dietrich Bonhoeffer,
  • Harvey Cox, and
  • the existentialism of Søren Kierkegaard
  • philosophical existentialism of Paul Tillich
  • Death of God Theology propagated by Thomas J. J. Altizer
  • John Shelby Spong

Secular theology holds that theism has lost credibility as a valid conception of God's nature. It rejects the concept of a personal God and embraces the status of Jesus Christ, Christology and Christian eschatology as Christian mythology without basis in historical events.

I just found it interesting that 2012 could be the 40th or 45th anniversary in the Western world of Christianity without God.

Dutch

• 4 weeks later...

I just found it interesting that 2012 could be the 40th or 45th anniversary in the Western world of Christianity without God.

Dutch

Pardon my ignorance, but my understanding of Christianity is that Jesus and the Father are One?

I'm with ya, Brian. Can you imagine Jesus saying, "There is no God."

Maybe Western Christianity is becoming more and more ology without the theo? :D

Or maybe, in keeping with Psalm 14:1, it might be called, "Foolish Christianity". :D :D :D

Edited by Wayseeker

Jesus and the Father are One?

How is this true? Did Jesus have a unitive experience with the Divine and we are to emulate that?

I think a little study might be in order. These theologians have traveled the same path that most of us are/have/will.

some quotes:

Harvey Cox

God is just as present in the secular as the religious realms of life. -

John Shelby Spong

He believes that theism has lost credibility as a valid conception of God's nature. He states that he is a Christian because he believes that Jesus Christ fully expressed the presence of a God of compassion and selfless love and that this is the meaning of the early Christian proclamation, "Jesus is Lord" (Spong, 1994 and Spong, 1991) wiki

John A. T. Robinson:

“Every one of us lives with some mental picture of a God ‘out there,’ a God who ‘exists’ above and beyond the world he made, a God ‘to’ whom we pray and to whom we ‘go’ when we die.” It was this traditional theism which john A. T. Robinson questioned.

Have we seriously faced the possibility that to abandon such an idol [as ‘God out there’] may in the future be the only way of making Christianity meaningful, except to the few remaining equivalents of flat‐earthers. . .”

“To believe in God as love means to believe that in pure personal relationship we encounter, not merely ought to be, but what is, the deepest, veriest truth about the structure of reality. This, in the face of all the evidence is a tremendous act of faith.”

John A. T. Robinson book's Honest to God caused controversy, as it called on Christians to view God as the "Ground of Being" rather than as a supernatural being "out there" wiki

Dutch

Dutch

Perhaps it is G-d who left Christianity behind.

NORM