Where's Eden Gone?

PaulS

Genesis 3:24 "So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden the Cherubim, and the flame of a sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life."

Just wondering what people's take is on this passgae, or how they may have heard it explained by literalist bible-believers.

I am wondering what those that literally believe Adam & Eve were persons who lived God's designated National Park on Earth, believe happened to Eden after God kicked man out.

The passage seems to paint the picture that Eden should still exist somewhere as God did not destroy it but rather just kicked man out and then barred re-entry.

To save any time, I myself believe the story is a well-intentioned myth used to explain why bad things happen to people.

Would value your thoughts.

Cheers

Paul

I am wondering what those that literally believe Adam & Eve were persons who lived God's designated National Park on Earth, believe happened to Eden after God kicked man out.

There are some who claim that the Garden of Eden is in Jedda, Saudi Arabia since Jedda means grandmother in Arabic and the place was so named in honor of Eve. Others claim that Aden (spelled the same as Eden) in Yemen is the historical home. In either place, the tree of good and evil has apparently been long since cut down

Given the meaning of the names of the characters, Adam (mankind) and Eve (life), I think the ancient Israelites would have understood it as myth.

I personally think it is a coming-of-age story about temptation, obedience and responsibility once we understand the difference between good and evil. I can imagine an ancient story teller sitting around the campfire with a group of teens reminding them of what happens now that they know right from wrong and are tempted to try that which is forbidden.

George

Unable to resist quoting again the lines of W.H.Auden..............

For the garden is the only place there is but we will not find it until we have searched everywhere and found nowhere that is not a desert.

When I was a fundamentalist, I had always assumed the Garden of Eden was destroyed along with the rest of the Earth during the flood in the Noah's Ark story.

I didn't think of that for some reason Neon. Thanks.

I hope to get around to watching that video eventually too.

Cheers

Paul

Here are a few musing from an old man, my view on the Garden of Eden.

After the fall from the Eden state of mind, we as individuals must labor and be troubled to gain support for the rest of our days unless we decide to change our course of action. Instead of communing with pure consciousness and unity, after the fall we share in the life of the material world. The material world is where our bodies obtain life, ill health, unhappiness, confusion and death because our bodies came from dust and will return to dust. It is our invisible spiritual nature, which harmonizes, balances, cultivates and brings forth the good in our body and mind. If we don’t associate with pure consciousness in a harmonious state of mind, body and affairs, we have to depend totally on the created world and are subject to its pain and hardship. After becoming more and more involved with the external world and experiencing pain, the struggle of the flesh once again becomes a struggle for happiness. The nature of the flesh being self-centered, possessive, fearful, and always trying to force its will on others after suffering in the world, finally returns our mind on a direction back through individual consciousness to a path leading to the soul. Suffering makes us not happy with the material world so our minds lead us back through the depths of our own being back to the Garden of Pure Consciousness.

Archived