Cautioned Member Complaint

Though people on this board have no problem of accusing atheists of having no basis for morality even though I personally don't find that to be appriopate or to add anything to one's position...

Neon,

I don't recall this happening with impunity. Can you cite some of the examples you are referring to?

George

In particular, Mike made several inflammatory accusations in the "Is Social Justice A Religious Agenda?" thread that secularism runs the risk of undermining the rationale for morality, that no modern day secular people could ever write anything like Thomas Jefferson wrote, and that secular moral worldviews have no metaphysical basis for understanding good and evil or for opposing the opressors, just to name a few examples. http://tcpc.ipbhost....da/page__st__20

Edited by Neon Genesis

Neon,

We do want to be fair here so i would be most interested in any specific posts you feel are inappropriate. I believe most here have expressed support for morality regardless if one identifies as an atheist or Christian. If one believed atheists had no basis for morality and stated that as their view, while i disagree with that statement. It is an acceptable opinion or view that one is free to hold here. BUT... if they added or insinuated that those who thought differently or that atheists " are full of it". now that would be unnecessary and unacceptable.

Hope that helps clarify why the distinction in our judgement here.

Joseph

Neon,

We do want to be fair here so i would be most interested in any specific posts you feel are inappropriate. I believe most here have expressed support for morality regardless if one identifies as an atheist or Christian. If one believed atheists had no basis for morality and stated that as their view, while i disagree with that statement. It is an acceptable opinion or view that one is free to hold here. BUT... if they added or insinuated that those who thought differently or that atheists " are full of it". now that would be unnecessary and unacceptable.

Hope that helps clarify why the distinction in our judgement here.

Joseph

I find it offensive to categorize an entire group of people of having no basis for morality just because they have different metaphysical views than you do. I also think it's contrary to point four in the eight points of the site which says
Imagine if somebody had said that all Jews do not have a basis for understanding right and wrong because they didn't accept Jesus Christ into their hearts and you would be accused of antisemitism but for some reason it's ok to make the same accusation about atheists. The only reason why it's still acceptable in polite circles to say atheists have no basis for morality but it's not ok to do the same towards Jews is because atheists are the most hated minority group in America and there have been numerous surveys done that show that the majority of American Christians hate atheists the most and there was even a survey done that showed Christians trust rapists more than they do atheists. As someone who considers themselves a spiritual atheist, I find it rather insulting when a moderator accuses me of not having a basis for morality and demanding to know how I know right from wrong on a site that claims to be open and accepting of non-believers when they wouldn't dare do the same for any other minority group in America.

Neon,

I hear what you are saying that you find some views as you have mentioned offensive. That is inevitable with diverse viewpoints allowed here. Your views are welcome here as opposing views are welcome including someone having a view that atheists have no basis for morality. Whether that view is true or not is open for question or debate and discussion in the respective area (debate forum). If someone here actually holds that view/position and whether one deems it valid or not is for members to make up their own mind about. If that offends you, that cannot be a problem of this forum because we do not dictate what view/views a person must hold to be a member of the community. Our only dictate is spelled out in the guidelines and respectful behavior.

As Dutch said, "this is a minor offence" so lets not make it bigger than it is. If you disagree with your caution then that is duly noted but i would advise you as a moderator to be more cautious in the future.

JosephM(as Moderator)

Edited by JosephM

• 4 weeks later...

While I think the argument that atheists have no basis for morality is wrong, and I do not think the existence of God solves the problem of morality at all, people should be able to voice their opinions on the matter. It is a popular belief that the existence of God is necessary for morality (e.g. divine command theory). To silence that viewpoint is not the proper course of action. Much better to deconstruct their argument and show them their foolishness.

To silence that viewpoint is not the proper course of action. Much better to deconstruct their argument and show them their foolishness.

John,

No one has "silenced" anyone here for expressing their point of view. One is free to express their opinion as long as it is in a non-confrontational, civil, respectful manner. Some have been warned or expelled for their uncivil behavior, not the point of view expressed.

George