Hello

Hello,

I am thrilled to find Progressive Christianity. My name is Paula Fae Trimble-Familetti. I started my faith life in the Methodist church. My family later joined the Disciple of Christ Church. I felt called to become a Catholic in my adult life. Now I attend a spiritual enrichment center. They do not identify as Christian, but offer inclusive, spiritual worship. Their motto is, "Open at the top."

I have a B.A. in religion from Chapman University, an M.A. from Liberty University, (yes, that Liberty) and a Dr. of Ministry in International Feminist Theology, from San Francisco Theological Seminary.

I have just completed my first book, Omissions, Lies and Biblical Women: Why Do We Believe What We Believe? I am discovering that writing the book was the easy part. Finding my audience is a bit more challenging. I am reaching out to the Progressive Christianity community for advice, support, camaraderie and possibly direction. I am excited to hear from anyone who wishes to respond. Thank you in advance.

Paula

Hi Paula,

Welcome to the community. Marketing a book is by no means an easy task and i for one, as author of two books myself, have no advice for you. Your views on topics of interest here are most welcome and i look forward to your sharing.

Joseph

Paula,

Welcome.

How this book is different than your other book, Feminism through the back door: a method for teaching feminist theology without calling it by that name, may affect how you find a market for it.

The only thing I know about book publishing is that it took my sister 10 years from the time she had the manuscript. Her book, At Home in the Elk River Valley, is a different animal than yours. But if I were to google hers I would find it in many places. I can't find any mention of yours anywhere (except here).

If Omissions if seeking a popular market, then start a website or blog. My sister had a website with selections trying to create the demand for years. She published the first copies last year. When she felt the demand was there she self-published -- she had sufficient financial resources but she waited until the demand was there. She also talks whenever she can to whomever will listen.

Michael Dowd, Bruce Sanguin, both authors have blogs with many subscribers and rarely turn down an invitation to talk. I bought Bruce's book because of Micheal's referral.

Maybe that is helpful. If I understood your question.

I look forward to our conversations.

Dutch

Hi Paula, welcome to the forum. It sounds to me like an intersting topic and something I would find interesting to read.

I have noticed that in many fundamental type faiths, either based on belief or church organisation, the position of women seems to be always be repressed. When I read some of Paul's contradictary and abussive (IMO) comments which speak of women it really annoys me. He goes on in Galatians 3:26-29 about there being no difference between men and women and gives the reason for this as we are all sons in Jesus Christ. So being women is not good enough then?

He speaks of women needing to be silent in 1 Corintinians 14:34 and I have heard fundamentalists saying that this was just a comment directed to a particular church but I do not buy that when he says in 1 Corinthians 11:7 that he thinks men are the image of God and women are not. What is the idea and function of a solitary God being male and having a sexual identitiy? For me it is just nonesense and sexism plain and simple.

I know a lot of people do not like the Gospel of Mary Magdelane but I really love the final point in the gospel in chapters 9:6-10 :-

"6) Levi answered and said to Peter, Peter you have always been hot tempered.

7) Now I see you contending against the woman like the adversaries.

8) But if the Savior made her worthy, who are you indeed to reject her? Surely the Savior knows her very well.

9) That is why He loved her more than us. Rather let us be ashamed and put on the perfect Man, and separate as He commanded us and preach the gospel, not laying down any other rule or other law beyond what the Savior said.

10) And when they heard this they began to go forth to proclaim and to preach."

For me, is not verses 6 & 7 the truth about some groups.

I personally do not believe God is male or female, although the bible proclaims God as having attributes of both, and sexuality is just an earthly concept. The trouble is (IMO) people need to see the bible and organisations for what they are rather than build themselves into something more than a rough draft in progress rather than an end in themselves. The final draft I believe is written in the hearts of each of us and makes no distiction whether one is male or female.

Sorry for the rambling. I just wanted to say your really welcome.

Pete

Thanks George, I am sure Paul did not write all that has been claimed to have been his but to fundamental minds they may disagree. I also am not sure what connection Paul actually had to the disciples if anything much. I am just saying I do not agree with some statements that some see as inerrant scripture and welcoming Paula.

Hello George, Pete, Dutch and Joseph,

Thank you for responding to my post! To be clear, Omissions has not been published. The publishers have the manuscript and tell me they are very excited about it. It will be published next December.

Dutch, I got so excited when you mentioned my dissertation, Feminism Through the Back Door. I forget sometimes how easy it is to do research on the internet. It has not been published. I never approached a publisher with it. I know that I need a website and a blog. This is my first attempt at blogging, if that is even what i am doing. I do have Linkedin and Facebook accounts, but must confess, I am only just beginning to learn how to use them. I think I need a Social Media for Dummies book.

Pete, thank you for your very interesting observations. I enjoyed reading you post very much.

Joseph and George, thank you for your welcome. I look forward to further communication.

Paula

Paula,

I think what you are doing here is networking. That you have a publisher that is interested puts you a step ahead of many others. A publisher liked 40% of my daughter's-in-law thesis and gave her a list of changes. Take a look at Bruce Sanguin's blog here for all the elements. He has a pulpit so he had a running start as far as developing followers. I can receive the RSS feed, his twitters, and links to his posts show up on my facebook page. I see he has a linkedin button, with which I am not familiar. Even if he doesn't have a full post he might send out a pertinent link or quote. Bruce has a community who respond to his posts and he replies to all their comments.

http://ifdarwinprayed.com/

I don't think Kristina Killgrove, bioarchaeologist, is selling a book but her tweets are an interesting example of odd and relevant comments that keep her followers loyal. For fun she also reviews episodes of the TV series, Bones. Maybe you could take on Pan Am if they come back for a second season. :D

http://www.poweredbyosteons.org/search/label/Bones%20Review

Just brain-storming.

Dutch

Archived