My Answers

Mani

1. How does language “an approach to God” fit your spiritual needs?

We need a pathway – a structure – a pattern that will allow us to get out of our own way, and experience GOD directly; process the experience of direct encounter with GOD; and restructure our convictions and views in response to direct encounter with GOD. “An approach to God,” is just that – a pathway, a structure, and a pattern which supports the entire process of direct encounter with GOD.

2. What language would you have used for you own spiritual journey?

My personal symbolic language is that of Normative Christianity expanded by the Sethian scriptures found in the Nag Hamadi library. But the essence of it all is “relationship.” The term Gnosis is most often translated as “knowledge,” but the more accurate translation of its meaning is, “Knowledge through relationship.” It is not knowing about GOD, it is knowing GOD.

3. Do you feel as the life and teachings of Jesus have brought you closer to an experience of God? How so?

Absolutely, yes. The life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth provide the foundation for the structure of my own approach to GOD.

4. How does the absence of salvation language help or detract from your spiritual path?

It helps. Although I believe the word itself needs to be re-envisioned, removing the word allows us to focus on the process of ever-deepening, ever-evolving relationship with GOD, rather than a concrete- temporal idea.

5. How does the Jesus of history or his teachings affect your understanding of God?

As I said above, the teachings of the Jesus of History (or rather our understanding of him) provides the foundation for my own path to GOD.

6. How might our understanding of who and what we are, as human beings, change if we remove the need for the sacrifice of Jesus as the Pascal Lamb, our redeemer?

As a Christian, it would change everything. Without the need for sacrifice, we are left with Jesus as our teacher, our example in life… Fear as the foundation of our faith is removed. A morally objectionable concept of GOD is removed. We are left with a path to GOD, and a way of living. We are left with beauty.

7. What is the difference between savior, hero, master, teacher, or prophet for you?

It would take too much time and space to go over all these terms. So, I am only going to address teacher. This is the term that has always been the core of my relationship with Jesus. A teacher is someone who has been there before, and is now prepared to lead you into the realization and actualization of the best of whom and what you can be – without imposing who and what he is on you. A teacher leads you into full individuation.

Archived