If You Are Comfortable With This....

JenellYB

The left has tried speaking to the values conservatives hold dear on countless numbers of issues and the conservatives still hate everything the left does and refuses to compromise on anything. When Obama passed health care reform, they dropped everything about the health care bill that was actually a progressive idea like the public option and they even went out of their way to defund federal funding for abortion in order to appease the Religious Right. The GOP still utterly despises Obamacare even though it's almost 90% identical to Mitt Romney's health care reform he had supported. More recently Obama tried to pass a compromised version of the mandated contraception law and the GOP still hates it and doesn't think it's good enough. Obama could convert to being a Republican and reinstate DADT to appease the Religious Right and they would still be utterly convinced that Obama is an anti-religious communist out to destroy their freedoms. The GOP doesn't really care about talking to liberals about all the values they hold dear because their goal is to destroy the left and to stop Obama from being a two-term president no matter what the cost. The left has already literally given up almost everything they hold dear to the GOP to appease them and it's not getting them anywhere. Bipartisianship is the biggest joke in American politics that was ever sold and the left could stand to be a little more principled in their beliefs if they don't want to lose their demographic.

Well, honestly, Neon, in all of that stuff. I really think there's something going on under the surface of it all, that all that stuff really isn't about that stuff at all, but something else? Something else not quite so easy, or "acceptable" to come right out and say, or maybe even see the truth of themselves?

And then there's a tendency, a mode, people can get into sometimes, in which they can take this crazy kind of determined stand I'm right and you're wrong and do not try to confuse me with facts kind of thing? Once it has become about a power game, the mind just slams and locks all the windows and doors and start blasting away out the gun ports?

Jenell

Well, honestly, Neon, in all of that stuff. I really think there's something going on under the surface of it all, that all that stuff really isn't about that stuff at all, but something else? Something else not quite so easy, or "acceptable" to come right out and say, or maybe even see the truth of themselves?

And then there's a tendency, a mode, people can get into sometimes, in which they can take this crazy kind of determined stand I'm right and you're wrong and do not try to confuse me with facts kind of thing? Once it has become about a power game, the mind just slams and locks all the windows and doors and start blasting away out the gun ports?

Jenell

I think a lot of the GOP's opposition to Obama is being motivated by racism as indicated by the large portion of Republicans who think Obama is a secret Muslim from Kenya just because he's black.

From The Life and Death of Democracy by John Keane. I acknowledge that historians see through modern lenses and that Keane has a particular slant he is selling. Also there is more than one thread in the fabric of American politics today.

The end of Athenian democracy was in their desire to become an empire through military conquest. Charismatic military leaders greatly influenced domestic policy and were willing to put the lives of soldiers and civilians unnecessarily at risk.

"This stench of death bred political hallucinations. of the kind that manifested in their declining interest in compromise, and ... their appeals to common fictive ancestry."

The fictive history of America as a Christian, as opposed to religious and secular, nation should complete this 2400 year old portrayal.

It was an interesting connection.

Dutch

Archived