What am I doing or thinking today

JosephM

My sister invited me to attend my hometown church with her and her boyfriend on Christmas, so I thought I would look in on the church bulletin as I haven't attended that church in quite some time.

I tried hard not to judge what I found: 6 pages of information, pages of financial reports, pages on doctrine and "rules", committee meeting minutes (mostly to do with finances), and less than 1/4 page on faith.

This bulletin accurately reflects the community culture, and it is not atypical for churches in this area. Is it any wonder I can't find community here?

Hi Yvonne. Always nice to hear from you. I think you're assessment of that community culture is quite widespread worldwide. Perhaps it is no wonder that Jesus often described the kingdom as something hidden, something to be sought after, something small but growing, something few would find?

It is odd, but perhaps prophetic, that we live in an age where more information is available to more people in more accessible ways at a more reasonable cost than ever before, but that information can never satisfy our innate need and desire for meaningful relationships. I get absolutely nothing out of church services where I am basically expected to say little more than "Good morning, how are you?" to people that I don't really know and listen to a man who claims to speak for God drone on for 30 minutes whom I don't really know and who doesn't know me.

One of the meanings of Christmas to me, metaphorically, is that when God really wanted us to understand him and our relationship to him and to others, he didn't send a bulletin, or a financial report, or a list of doctrines and rules, or a ton of information. He sent a person.

And he still does. In you. In me. In any who go beyond offering people information to what they really want -- relationship.

• Upvote 1

Today I am preparing for tomorrow's trip to Tasmania, with my wife and kids, for two whole weeks. We and another family with same aged kids are hiring two mobile homes and driving wherever the wind takes us. I am going to try and stay away from computers for the duration, so in advance I wish you all well and look forward to catching up on the forum when I return.

Cheers

Paul

After a some months haitus from my fledgling first attempt ever at doing an online blog, I'm feeling its time to take it back up again. Knowing that the focus will be changing from as it began, I considered either begining an entirely new blog, or deleting all the earlier posts. I decided against both those options. I'm choosing to leave those old ones in place, for they still reprsent a stage of developmennt I was in then, and, while the focus will be changing, it will still be very much still in the direction of seeking truth and understanding.

The new focus will be more toward social and political issues in the world around me, though I'm sure to stray off onto side jaunts now and then. I've begun "reactivating" my blog, Truth Seeker's Journey, by transferring some pieces I've written elswhere, the first ones being some I've done on my Facebook as notes.

If any would care to check it out, here's the link:

http://truthseekersjourney.blogspot.com/

Jenell

Today I am celebrating 'Australia Day'. Our country has a public holiday day which is general promoted as a day of national pride celebrated by swimming (I'm in my pool - it's 41 degrees celsius today), having some snaggers and lamb on the barbie (three additonal families of friends here today), and crackin' a few cold tinnies (well I'm less patriotic in this area as I prefer mexican Corona). However thoughts must go out to some aussies who are experiencing floods and storms today, which of course wouldn't be so relaxing. Cheers.

• Upvote 1

A party just for the heck of it? No iconic event? Just to celebrate being - Australian?! Sounds like a laid back approach to national holidays.

National pride day? Maybe kind of along the same line as the US 4th of July? Sounds good to me!

Jenell

I think it is alot like your 4th of July, which I was there for in about 1990.

Technically the event is the commemoration of the first British ship arriving in Sydney and proclaiming Australia as theirs. This doesn't sit well with some indigenous Australians and for a time there activsts called it Invasion Day.

For most though, the focus of the day is celebrating our Australian-ness, including our indigenous and multi-cultural heritage. We are still dealing with our history, but on this day I think we can all put down our weapons and just enjoy the fact that right now, we do all live together here in Oz, and people from a wide range of cultures have contributed to who we are today.

We had a great day, which unfortunately I am paying for now :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking for progressive prayers and decided to try my hand at writing one. I'm not a poet, and I've never written anything like this before, but here's my first try.

There is a Presence, right here, right now,

immediate, intimate

a Presence I name God.

God – present and active

• from the beginning of time

• through the evolution of life, thought, and awareness

• to the future, full of hope and promise

• and to me, in this place, at this time

God – Source and Ground of all being

• in a universe abounding in extravagant generosity

• in life swelling with potential

• in a heart teeming with love and conviction

God – fully engaged in my life

• in the darkness and sorrow

• in the light and joy

• in the “every day-ness” of life

I bring my awareness to this Presence

in Whom all that exists has being...

and through Whom I am connected to all that is...

(silent reflection)

• Upvote 3