What am I doing or thinking today

JosephM

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Today, the PCUSA(the denomination I belong to) made it possible for LGBT candidates for the ministry to be ordained. For 37 years I have been a very small part of the effort that brought this about. I can't say I am proud, because, after all, pride is a sin, so I have heard. But I'm awfully pleased.

• Upvote 1

Today, the PCUSA(the denomination I belong to) made it possible for LGBT candidates for the ministry to be ordained. For 37 years I have been a very small part of the effort that brought this about. I can't say I am proud, because, after all, pride is a sin, so I have heard. But I'm awfully pleased.

You have earned pride. Job well done.

George

Boy, I hope the United Methodist Church follows suit soon!

• 3 weeks later...

I have this fantasy that significant portions of the Bible would be rewritten as dialogs and conversations amongst the different authors. Examples:

1. The four authors of the Gospels discussing their accounts with attention to any disagreement about what really happened and what points were important to them and why.

2. Parallel accounts of David and Solomon in Samuel, 1 Kings and the Chronicles.

3. The J/E authors and Priestly authors discussing the Creation, Garden, Flood, and Babel accounts.

I imagine that one would often hear, "No, that's not how it was." or "what I meant when I wrote that is ...." and "You don't understand the problems we were having when I wrote that."

• Upvote 1

I'm just thinking today that it's good to be active on this board again.

I've been around several internet boards and haven't found one even close to this one, the quality of dialogue, the community - the people - here, are something to write home about. :)

Peace,

Mike

Edited by Mike

• 5 weeks later...

This morning on walk to work I was listening to the "The Partially Examined Life" podcast Episode 39 which discussed Schleiermacher's defense of religion. I did not complete the Episode but I am really enjoying this Episode; I think I will save it and listen to it a few times.

Again, congratulations Nick. Is it still appropriate to wish you a long honeymoon? If so I do.

Dutch

We had a family reunion, and in a few days its back to reality, packing for a move at the end of August, and writing dissertations. We're saving up for an awesome 1st year anniversary trip, rather than a honeymoon. This summer, we're happy with a lot of hiking on weekends and going to another wedding.

Does anybody mind if I take links we post in a variety of threads and post them in the links thread. I would encourage you to also put your link there. We post many links in our various discussions. We'd have quite a resource if they were all in one place.

Dutch

Dutch, that is a great idea you are acting on by copying links to the link section on the forum. I certainly am enjoying having the links set aside in one place.

I have had an amazing week. My wife had a little girl on Monday morning and we have just brought her home from the hospital today. Her name is Hope. I choose the name with my wife as a spiritual testimony. Mother and daughter are doing fine though mother is really exhausted.

I enjoyed browsing and reading here while in the hospital with my family the last two days. Our little boy Troy who is two is also doing really well with help of family and his sitter.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the drip irrigation system on a new market garden. Crops growing well. Antlered white tail deer in north field, which are very striking against the green alfalfa.

We, wife and I spent weekend with very good friends from Wesley Foundation, Univ. of Montana, 45 years of relationships. Wonderful. Truly joyful to know these people and continue as if nothing has separated us during these years.