Non-christian Experiences In Your Own Quest?

des

:lol:

Joshu's "Mu" is probably the most well known koan in the west. Koans, for those who don't know, are paradoxical riddles given to students in Rinzai zen for the purpose of gaining insight to things which can't be worked out through logic alone.

Also known as Chao-chou's Dog, this koan and some interesting commentary on it can be found here:

Chao-chou's Dog

Most commentators say that "mu" means "no" in this koan, but I've also heard it said that "mu" was meant to convey a nonsensical answer or a barking sound. I think "no" is probably the better translation.

Just to mention it, koan practice is a part of the Rinzai tradition of Zen, which is not the school I am most familiar with. I haven't done formal koan practice, so my knowledge of koans is limited to what I've read in books. In the Soto school, which I am more familiar with, the practice is to just sit in mindful awareness and observe the mind.

If you are interested in Rinzai practice, I'd add to the list of books above "The Three Pillars of Zen" by Philip Kapleau. Roshi Kapleau passed away just last year, and his book is also a classic.

Mu, as I understand it is much more complex than no or nothing - although that is it's common use in Japan.

In the ultimate East meets West, google it and you'll find a lot of interesting information.

It is the answer to the question , "Does a dog have buddha nature" according to Chao Chou - in other words, if you have to ask... you've missed the point. :rolleyes:

A more American version is that mu is the answer to the question, "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

take a minute.... you see? you can't answer the question unless you do or have beaten your wife... the question is based on false assumptions.

Mu is the first Koan in the Gateless Barrier... people are said to have spent up to 12 years meditating on it... there's a this is that, that is this nature to it also. Very interesting. Makes for a great meditative word... but someone recently told me that it is a short u... a long u sounds a lot better in a chant!!! :blink:

Chao-chou's Dog

A monk asked Chao-chou, "Has the dog Buddha nature OR not?" Chao-chou said, "Mu."

If Chao answered "Yes" the monk would have to ask "Yes he does? or Yes he does not?"

If Chao answered "No" the monk would have to ask "No he does not? or No he does."

Neither answer would work. Poor monk! :blink:

Koans make my head hurt. :angry:

I'll just play with the puppy instead. :P

Edited by AletheiaRivers

Koans make my head hurt.

Yes, me too, but I don't think they are supposed to make your head hurt. If you try and untangle them logically you can't do it.

I think I like the idea of playing with your puppy instead.

BTW, I think Matt Fox says that his dog is his spiritual advisor-- because he keeps me grounded. I'll buy that. Also very aware of the silliness of taking oneself too seriously.

I really like my avatar, because however serious I wish to make my posts, I know that in the end they are really about as important as a dog lying on its back. :-)

--des

• 6 months later...

I've attended Unitarian churches in Britain which are unfortunately quite anti-christian and often take a humanistic approach. I have read into Sikhism, Reform Judaism and Islam. However, the other faith / philosophy that I have a great affinity for is Taoism - I read their scripture regular although admit to not always understanding it.

First and foremost I am a Christian.

• 4 months later...