Protestant Denominations Devolopment

As XianAnarchist pointed out on another thread, Evangelicalism originally was pretty much all there was prior to the 19th century. After that, things got REALLY complicated. :D

Here are the major influences on Protestantism since the magisterial Reformation and the Puritan Reformation in England.

1) Holiness movement and Pietism 17th and the 18th century - Puritans, Pietists, Methodists, Quakers, etc ... Depth of religious experience as opposed to doctrine-centeredness.

2) Evangelicalism End of 18th century - Pietist revivals ... Conversion experience, piety, Bible study, Family Values, Abolitionism, non-formal worship, ecumenical cooperation.

3) Liberalism Mostly the end of the 19th century - Protestant churches. Attempts to accomodate Biblical doctrine with the principles of the Enlightenment.

4) Pentecostalism Early 20th century - Holiness movement. Gifts of the Holy Spirit. Divine healings. Miracles. Later spawned hundreds of new denominations.

5) Fundamentalism 20th century - In reaction to liberal Bible critique, Fundamentalism arose among those denominations most affected by Evangelicalism. Biblical inerrancy. Culturally conservative.

6) Neo-evangelicalism Mid 20th century - Reacted to perceived excesses of Fundamentalism, adding an emphasis on liberal arts, co-operation among churches, Christian Apologetics, and non-denominational evangelization.

Protestant families of denominations

Anglican

Calvinist/Reformed/Presbyterian

Lutheran

Methodist

Pentecostal

Quakerism

Unitarian

I didn't know Presbyterianism came out of Calvin. :huh:

Again: questions? Comments? Rants?

Edited by AletheiaRivers

Things change over the years. Congregationalists came out of Puritans/Calvinist. They were once a strict sect. Like Presbyterians they had a belief in predestination, that only a few were really chosen to be saved-- it had nothign to do with belief or good behavior or anythign like that. Congregationalism has changed over the years, and tends to be more about how the church is organized (though tending towards moderate to liberal) than about doctrine.

I think that Unitarians have changed to be sometimes not even Christian. In fact, some participate in pagan practices.

JW, LDS, and Christian Science (for a few) have been considered Protestant. However, they differ from Protestantism by having a charismatic leader who has taken on a larger than life face. For example, Mary Baker Eddy is worshipped by some of her followers-- although most CSists would never admit to this. There is also A book that is really thought of as expanding on the Bible. I think they are admitted as Protestant mainly as they are usually respectable citizens, and ecumenical groups tend to like to play nice, tending to label someone as they wish to be labeled. CSists have always had an exaggerated fear of the Roman Catholic church but it is not a protestant type of thing. It is based on Eddy's fear of the church. (She was a major paranoid type.)

--des

--des

"JW, LDS, and Christian Science (for a few) have been considered Protestant. "

I am not sure if JW's consider themselves Protestant. Ath, do you know?

"However, they differ from Protestantism by having a charismatic leader who has taken on a larger than life face. For example, Mary Baker Eddy is worshipped by some of her followers-- although most CSists would never admit to this."

I agree with all this 100% But don;t Fundamental protestnat seems to creature worship Billy Graham? And The Catholics the Pope?

"There is also A book that is really thought of as expanding on the Bible. I think they are admitted as Protestant mainly as they are usually respectable citizens, and ecumenical groups tend to like to play nice, tending to label someone as they wish to be labeled."

That's true, but these "Left behind" books are suppose to be fiction..but are they to the fundamental Protestants?

"CSists have always had an exaggerated fear of the Roman Catholic church but it is not a protestant type of thing. It is based on Eddy's fear of the church. (She was a major paranoid type.)"

Umm..check out Watchman Fellowship website which is ran by Fundamental protestants or Walter Martin's Kingdom of the Cults...they positively have a major fear/b%$ch against The Catholic Church.

I agree with all this 100% But don;t Fundamental protestnat seems to creature worship Billy Graham? And The Catholics the Pope?

I can't speak for any Evangelicals, but none that I know worship Billy Graham. In fact, some that I know don't really like Billy Graham, not that they've got a beef with him or anything, he's just not their "style". Although I don't really want to get into this much, it is one o fmy major beefs with Protestants (and Protestants splinters and so on) is that they don't believe in authority or heirarchy and make it up as they go along. It's and idea based in so-called "Enlightenment" ideals which exalt the person over objective Truth. But I'll save the rest of that rant for another day.

As for Catholics worshipping the Pope... Do you have any idea what the word "worship" even means? www.merriamwebster.com defines it thusly

Main Entry: 1wor·ship

Pronunciation: 'w&r-sh&p

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English worshipe worthiness, respect, reverence paid to a divine being, from Old English weorthscipe worthiness, respect, from weorth worthy, worth + -scipe -ship

1 chiefly British : a person of importance -- used as a title for various officials (as magistrates and some mayors)

2 : reverence offered a divine being or supernatural power; also : an act of expressing such reverence

3 : a form of religious practice with its creed and ritual

4 : extravagant respect or admiration for or devotion to an object of esteem <worship of the dollar>

The only part that even comes close might be the if you crammed the idea of extravagent respect into it, but even then, its an obvious stretch.

No Catholic worships the Pope. We respect the Pope, and we admire him for his intelligence, obvious love of God and the authority that He weilds by virtue of his holding the Office of Saint Peter. But we do not worship him. Tell me, do progressives worship John Spong, or Marcus Borg? Despite my strenous disagreements over their theology (and my inability to udnerstand why anyone would folow such a milquetoast version of the Faith) I would never argue that these people are worshipped by those within the progressive movement.

Come on now, let's not be ridiculous.

Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us.

jamesAMDG

Edited by jamesAMDG

I think that Unitarians have changed to be sometimes not even Christian. In fact, some participate in pagan practices.

Unitarianism has definitely changed over the years. When it first developed, it was a Christian position opposed to the Trinity. As it evolved it came to embrace rationalism, modernism and inclusivity.

In 1981 the Unitarians merged with the Universalists, creating the UU. They are so inclusive that Christians are in the minority.

Unitarian Universalists have CUUPS - Unitarian Universalits Pagan Society.

Aletheia

I am not sure if JW's consider themselves Protestant. Ath, do you know?

I don't think JW's consider themselves Protestant, but they are.

They're sure as heck not Catholic.

And I believe, but am not sure, that they are listed in the "membership" of Protestant churches.

Despite my strenous disagreements over their theology (and my inability to udnerstand why anyone would folow such a milquetoast version of the Faith) I would never argue that these people are worshipped by those within the progressive movement.  ~ JamesAMDG

(fatherman chuckles to himself...wipes a bit of milk toast off his chin)

Edited by fatherman

Come on now, let's not be ridiculous.

But I think being RIDICULOUS was the POINT.

Any group can call any other group a cult based on the criteria for definition.

JW's don't "worship" CT Russel. Mormons don't "worship" Joseph Smith. Evangelicals don't "worship" Billy Graham. Catholics don't "worship" the Pope.

It's stupid. It's frustrating.

I'm an Ex-JW and I still don't appreciate it when they are categorized as a cult.

What was even more frustrating was, when I was leaving JW's, I heard the term "cult" used more by ex-JW's towards those who were still JW's.

It's and idea based in so-called "Enlightenment" ideals which exalt the person over objective Truth.

Considering that the "Age of Enlightenment" didn't occur until the 18th century, I'm a little confused as to how Protestantism is an "idea" based upon it?

I have been under the impression..though correct me if I am am wrong on this..cause I could be...that CREATURE worship to overly revear someone or something to near idol worship. Maybe I should have clearified this. I did not mean that Mormons literally prayer to Joseph Smith, nor that JW's pray to their Watchtower Society, nor Fundamental Protestants pray to Billy Graham..ect...I meant that they get SO in AWE of their spiritual leaders/speakers or representives that tthat they stare in awe at every at every personal opinion they utter or quote on print..to such a extreme degree that they take their quotes no need to to be questioned or place it on the same level as Jesus Christ. Whenever ANY religious person of a faith group does this then they are doing the opposite of what Paul advice to the Boreans..that is... that all should "Question every inspired word to see if it is really so or not." - Acts 11:17.

Fundamental protestants are VERY zealous about pointing out how JW's, Mormons and Christian Science place too much focus on their extra books and their authors. But in doing this they fail to see where they do the same thing with Bily Graham and Hal Lindsey and their books. It's kinda of a complete hyprocrisy on their part.

"I'm an Ex-JW and I still don't appreciate it when they are categorized as a cult."

Me too. Alot of this annoyance on my part has to do with the fact that I KNOW these Southern Baptists and Assembly of God types are NOT calling JW's a 'CULT" based on anything dangerous they are doing, but instead it basically all comes down to them trying to get even with JW's and being "bleeped" off with them for simply not concuring with their belief in the trinity. This is there way of getting even.

This annoys me also because these Fundamental Protestnats also do this very same thing to Bahias and UU's for the precise same reason..that they are NOT trinitarian. I like Bahia and UU's and find many of their beliefs agreeable to my own Progressive Christian beliefs. I have made great friends amoung both Bahias and UU Christian like Scott Wells. I myself am also non-trinitarian. Also UU's and Bahias support most, if not all of the TCPC 8 points and thus uphold social justice.

"What was even more frustrating was, when I was leaving JW's, I heard the term "cult" used more by ex-JW's towards those who were still JW's."

This ( sigh..) is going on right now on the Beliefnet JW Debate board. I have tried to reason with these many many times not to do this..but the XJW who have turned Fundamental protestnats keep calling JW's an Unsaved 'CULT, and inturn the JW's keep calling them "Apostates". :angry: They are both acting like intolerant boobs.

"Considering that the "Age of Enlightenment" didn't occur until the 18th century, I'm a little confused as to how Protestantism is an "idea" based upon it? "

According to the Book, "American's Alternative Religions" By Timothy Miller. The Age of Enlightenment and Unitarianism arose to counter the Revial movment of John Edwards.

According to the Book, "American's Alternative Religions" By Timothy Miller. The Age of Enlightenment and Unitarianism arose to counter the Revial movment of John Edwards.

I'm certainly not a historian (XianAnarchist, where aaaarrreee you?), but it is my understanding that the "Age of Reason" and later "The Age of Enlightenment" arose as a response to years of war throughout the 1500's and the 1600's.

Society in general had gotten tired of religion and relgious wars and the problems that "personal revelation" had caused.

So rather than the "Age of Enlightenment" causing Protestantism, it was more that Protestantism (and the wars with the Catholic church) that contributed to the Age of Enlightenment.

But the Liberalism that the enlightenment led to, also gave us Fundementalism. In essense, Modernism led to Liberalism led to Fundementalism.

Anyone have anything to ad? XIANANARCHIST? :angry:

Aletheia :P

Edited by AletheiaRivers