Hello

Spiker439

Hello all,

Since I'm thus far enjoying my time here I only thought it appropriate to introduce myself formally; my apologies for being uncourteous enough not to have done so earlier.

My name is Chris, I live in Vancouver BC with my girlfriend of nearly 7 years. I've spent most of my life either traveling or going to school; equally meaningful forms of education, I would assert. My undergraduate education consisted of a BA in philosophy and a BSc in Neuropsychology. Having managed to make it to all 7 continents (I finally hit Africa last May), I decided to go back to school and get my Masters in philosophy. Assuming I'm admitted anywhere, I'll also be pursuing my PHD in philosophy. My primary field of interest within philosophy is the philosophy of mind, specifically the application of neuropsychological principles and discoveries to philosophical theory, a field dubbed "Neurophilosophy". I'm also very interested in both ethics and the philosophy of religion, which is what brings me here. I've been an atheist for as long as I can remember, and I've joined this forum in an attempt to better understand the PC viewpoint (which I find quite palatable, relative to other Christian options) and the motivations behind it. We're currently having an excellent debate/talk/information and perspective sharing session in the debate and dialogue section of the forums, if anyone is interested (shameless advertising, I know).

Thanks for taking the time to read this, and it's nice to meet everyone.

Chris

Welcome Chris,

I hope you enjoy your time here and get what you want out of it.

Although I haven't participated as yet, I have been reading and learning from the post you kicked off, and everybody's input. Thanks.

Cheers

Paul

Welcome, Chris.

I, too, have enjoyed reading your posts and pondering over your questions. I'd love to sit down with you over a pint or two and simply chat with you about your experiences and explorations. To be honest, as I don't have a background in philosophy or any significant higher education and I only have 256k of volatile RAM, some of what you share goes way over my head. Nevertheless, I do my best to think about what I believe and why. And I do my best to discern what effects my beliefs have on my life and the lives of others around me and the world. Your input here is, imo, beneficial not only in perhaps giving you insight into PC, but in good-natured challenge of who we are and why we believe and live as we do.

Please keep in mind that while we all here participate under this umbrella of Progressive Christianity, there is not a single PC viewpoint. I think it is a fair accessment to say that many of us started out as Christians and that we are now progressive...what? The answer to that depends on who you talk to. So our viewpoints are as myriad and diverse as are our participants. And yet because we seek to understand ourselves and each other better, we are also a community of friends. Many of us are bound together by a common seeking of meaningful relationship, not by dogma and doctrine. While dogma and doctrines may take a revisiting every 500 years of so for updates, relationships are messy and take constant maintenance. :) But they are worth it. Therefore, all opinions are welcome to be shared here as long as they are done cordially.

On a personal note, I've appreciated your attitude from the start of your posting. I'm not into stereotyping, but I've read books by Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, Harris, etc. and have found that while I agree with many of their conclusions (I reject the understanding of God that they are attacking), I am repulsed by the vitriolic way *some* atheists come at Christianity. Many of us here on PC know well the dark side of Christianity, having experienced it personally or having been educated to what religion can do when usurped by the powerful to control society. We know that we must "own the baby." But some of also feel that there is still some germ of meaningful and even beneficial truth behind all the religious paraphernalia and want to explore and discuss what that truth might be and how it could be revelant again. So I've appreciated the way that you have interacted with all of us so far in not stereotyping us either.

Regards,

Bill

Welcome Chris -

Admittedly I have been unable to participate in the discussions - neurophilolosophy is waaay beyond me. Howver, I;ve enjoyed reading the conversations. I believe in learning. Period. I appreciate any respectful dialogue that makes me THINK. You offer that. :rolleyes:

Welcome Chris. Like WaySeeker I would love to sit over a pint with you and discuss things face to face.

I do not know how to define God but I do not accept the view that some hold that God wants all gay people and adulterers stoned to death and also sort to drown the world except Noah's lot in order to conquer sin. I do not believe in hell or judgement day. I personally do not accept that notion that Paul held about Jesus being a sacrifice for sin and that it was God who would not accept forgiveness in any other way but to have him killed. I have a sense that there is something more to life and I believe in a life beyond this one. I believe in many of the teachings of Jesus but not that he was God. I can accept inspired by God but Jesus for me is all too human and that adds to his attraction for me. Can I prove any of my beliefs? No, I am happy to live by that belief just the same. If that makes me a madman in someone else's eyes then so be it, but I also believe we are all mad in someone's eyes. Not sure who said it but it is said that "one man's theology is another man's belly laugh".

In this life (IMO) there is much we do not know and cannot be certain of, that often, beliefs are the only things we have.

I look forward to reading some of your posts. Welcome friend.

Thanks for the formal introduction Chris,

I would chime in with Bill by saying i appreciate your healthy attitude and manner in your conversations here. It is evident that you are well schooled and versed in Philosophy and many other subjects and have been most kind and tolerant of others and their beliefs here. While i lack the formal education, language skills and travel experience you seem to possess, i am able to reasonably follow your dialog and have enjoyed reading and contemplating your posts.

Joseph

Chris, An aggressive volleyball player or the one who spikes the punch is always welcome.

Hahah, or simply one with a fortuitous last name, I hope! Though I do also spike the punch, when necessary.

Thanks for the welcomes all, much appreciated.

Chris

Archived