"would You Be So Kind To Post A Bit About Yourself In That Area At

AlanBrooks

Glint,

I'm tired of hearing bios from strangers every day:

"I studied physics for 2 years and then dropped out to be a flower arranger.

Then two years later I got a degree in political science. I married a topless dancer, then divorced her to marry a bottomless dancer. She divorced me when I became a born again Christian... now I'm a libertarian........."

Bombs away

I think I'm back in love again

around 'n' round we go

Greetings Alan,

Different than what most share here but non-the-less interesting. As a Libertarian, what is your view on Presidential candidate Ron Paul whose views seem to me to resemble Libertarian even though he is running on the Republican ticket?

What are your feelings about Progressive Christianity? Do you have any expectations from participation on this site?

Curious,

Joseph

"I studied physics for 2 years and then dropped out to be a flower arranger.

Then two years later I got a degree in political science. I married a topless dancer, then divorced her to marry a bottomless dancer. She divorced me when I became a born again Christian... now I'm a libertarian........."

Joe! the above is a parody of what I hear all the time: people talking about themselves; after all, what could be more absorbing than self-reference. I'm not a libertarian- I'm voting for Obama because he is at least as good as any of his opponents.

Perhaps I don't want to write an introduction to myself because though I haven't lived the most boring life, it hasn't been the most interesting, either. So then those who lead interesting lives can talk about themselves all they want, but it gets old-- and eventually conceited.

... my fault, it is hard to communicate when one uses sarcasm;

Joe, let me make sure you know what I wrote in the little parody of a bio a few posts back: it was a burlesque on the self-referential, egotistical conversations I overhear all day, and sometimes am subject to. People yapping about everything they do and what they ate for lunch.

What do I think about progressive Christianity? I like anything but Rightist Christianity.

I'd just say that "reality" is experienced more often than not at the personal level. OK, we can be over absorbed with ourselves, yet I think that mulling over our lives and the past can often be illuminating. Sharing it can help.

To me, facts in and of themselves lack "body". Discussions of various issues/doctrines can become academic. Flesh them out, and its all different.......at least to me.

Anyway, welcome to the site.

:)

Derek, born 1949..................

Joe! the above is a parody of what I hear all the time: people talking about themselves; after all, what could be more absorbing than self-reference. I'm not a libertarian- I'm voting for Obama because he is at least as good as any of his opponents.

Perhaps I don't want to write an introduction to myself because though I haven't lived the most boring life, it hasn't been the most interesting, either. So then those who lead interesting lives can talk about themselves all they want, but it gets old-- and eventually conceited.

Alan,

You weren't invited to introduce yourself to encourage 'self absorbency' or to entertain the participants here with an exciting biography. The request was so that other participants could engage you understanding better your interest in participating, your general worldview and how you came to where you are theologically. Context matters. History matters.

In any event, welcome.

George

Hi Allen,

Well, your parody succeeded in capturing me. :D I had to look up the word.....

Anyway i am pleased you at least responded and pleased to meet you. Perhaps i will be a little better at grasping your comments in the future as i gain a better understanding of your style? Or perhaps not, as i am often fooled by words and sometimes not so smart. Still in a sense you have indicated where you are coming from with your present comments and perhaps that tells some here something about you that is useful in dialog and trying to understand another. Checked out the site you referenced but its too deep for my personal interests. BTW. Didn't vote for Obama nor his major opponent but i support many of the hard decisions he has made.

I hope you find some interesting and stimulating conversation here related to any 'spiritual' journey you might be on and your comments are certainly welcome.

Joseph

"I'm not a libertarian- I'm voting for Obama because he is at least as good as any of his opponents."

The above will do as an intro. I do not like Rightist Christianity; though it has a practical purpose, it is hardball--

and when we are the ones getting hit by the ball in the face at the stadium, then the game is over for us.

Understand. That hardball to the face is tough. But we really try to stay with nerf balls here. I think that's what they call them. The soft foam kind? The only kind my grand kids are allowed to throw at each other, anyway, whatever they're called. I try not to throw anything harder into anyones face than I'd feel comfortable with being thrown in mine.

Jenell

• 5 weeks later...

Archived