Book Suggestion

murmsk

I am looking for a book for our discussion group at church. The last few books we have read have been squarely progressive in nature. We are tiring of the combative reteric of all the things "church " has done wrong. We get it. I am looking for a book that in ordinary language discusses a spiritual life. One that anyone from traditional christian to atheist can get something out of. It could be a faith and justice book, a book on equal treatment of all persons, something on pluralism ....

Some of my thoughts are:

God has a vision by Desmond Tutu

Is God Christian R. Kirby Godsey

Any ideas?

thanks steve

These deal with theology more than practical issues as such, but I think they're be really good for group studies...

I recommend the "Conversations with Scripture" series, which is a really fresh and accessible overview of certain books of the bible. I have the ones on Mark and Revelation, they are quite good. There is a different author for each book in the series.

I could also recommend "On the Mystery: Discerning Divinity in Process" which is a readable and engaging tour through process theology and more.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by Mike

Another I'd recommend is Christian Smith's The Bible Made Impossible: Why Biblicism Is Not a Truly Evangelical Reading of Scripture (Link)

He's a sociologist of religion, who is also a Catholic, but started off as an Evangelical (he has other books on how that transition occurred). This book is why the ideal of biblical literalism is empirically not possible. The Bible does not have a singular, unifying meaning that all can understand unproblematically and without interpretation. It's just not possible. The first half explains that argument, and then he turns to what he thinks might work instead, which from what I hear involves a value for Christian community and the need to admit churches are interpretive communities with a way of reading and interpreting the Bible. I haven't read it, but I hear it's good and accessible.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mike. While the "Conversations with Scripture" series prob isn't right for the group at this time anyway, It is something I have been looking for. Thanks !!!

steve

You're welcome.

I also thought of another book, part of the "Inner Journey" series, "The Inner Journey: Views from the Christian Tradition" -- it's a wide ranging collection of essays and interviews on different aspects of the Christian tradition. Nothing academic, very accessible reading. Depending on the purpose of one's group it could be very fitting.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I, too, loved Borg's "Heart of Christianity" and there is a companion study guide for personal or group use. Very helpful.

I will have to track that down. I am thinking about picking up Borg's Speaking Christian, first, since I heard he tackles the language about hell in the Bible, and I am very interested on his opinions on that matter.

• 1 month later...

I would stongly suggest 'Mohandas Gandhi Essential Writings'. Gandhi explains the spiritual connection between God and non-violence. In addition, he writes about his own development of a deep inner life and his career as an activist in the social struggles for human rights. The book is about $12.00 from Amazon and is short enough for group readings.

Edited by Quaker Way