Just What Is Progressive Christianity To You ?

This thread post was moved to debate and dialog as this is not the place to dispute others. It is a thread to share your view of what progressive Christianity is to you. There are no wrong answers. See opening post  #1 for clarification

JosephM (as Admin)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To me, Progressive Christianity means applying the “new story” of science and anthropology to the myths and beliefs of traditional Christianity and thus opening the door to probe for a deeper meaning.

For me, Progressive Christianity provides me a paradigm for something I've been seeking all my life...a context, a framework, for constructing a personal religous/faith beliefs system within which I c

As a person relatively new to Progressive Christianity (PC) -- I never even heard of John Shelby Spong prior to his November, 2011 interview on Minnesota Public Radio -- perhaps I could highlight some

PC is to me a path to faith where I get to hold on to the all inclusive values taught by my hippie parents while exploring God's love through humanity. Ours is not to judge or condemn. Ours is to explore and love. Many "legacy" systems of Christianity appose the message much of the Bible is trying to convey. PC is a way to merge faith with modern science, sociology and life experience. I think it is not what you believe, who to or where you pray, just that you have faith and a moral compass. I want to do good things and be a better person, so I take those lessons and apply them to my life in a modern interpretation. I'd say maybe I've got it all wrong, but that defies the whole PC thing, doesn't it?

• Upvote 2

To me, PC means a wide range of things to a wide range of people.

Lately I've been thinking of myself as a pre-Constantinian Christian, (as well as a pre-canonization Christian).

Just trying to get, or "tune into" the Spirits of JC, God/Higher Power/Great Spirit etc. , and what's called the Holy Spirit.

Even according to the New Testament, that's what the first generations of Christians were doing. . . They didn't have a/the book.

• Upvote 2

Thread split off to "Discussing PC" as this thread is not for the purpose of discussion .  It is a pinned thread for member posts to state what PC means to them so new members or visitors can get an idea of what PC means  to its members. There should be no responses in this thread other than a like if you like what is posted or a thank you or welcome.  Discussions wanted on any posts here should start another thread .

JosephM (as Admin)

• 10 months later...

I see progressive Christianity as an approach to Christianity that takes seriously developments in the world around us. We don't prioritize tradition over insight. Yet, we don't simply accept new insights without critical thought. 

On 1/30/2021 at 4:58 AM, irreverance said:

Great discussion all! Alas, but it appears (see above) that we're in the wrong place for it.

Is there any way we can transfer this awesome chat over to this thread so we can continue? I don't know if it's possible to move individual posts.  

Thanks for pointing that out, Irreverance.  I have now transferred those posts across to the more appropriate thread - Discussing PC

Cheers, Paul.