Who Is That Cowboy With The Red Bandana?

glintofpewter

I'm a volunteer at the park i stay at in the winter so they throw a party for us every year and this one was a cowboy theme. Also, a few years back, i had been to a dude ranch around 100 miles from where you live and really enjoyed playing cowboy for a week. A real city slicker i am. I'll rotate it from time to time so you don't die laughing. :)

My own cowgirl days are pretty much behind me...while I do still have a horse, I'm content to just enjoy watching the cows and calves in my neighbor's pasture that adjoins my property on two sides, and limiting my concerns about their care and management to leaving a note on his gate if I happen to notice something like a broken fencepost or sagging barbed wire between them and the busy state highway our properties front on. Other than that, I adorn my side and rear ward facing windows in my office, living room and kitchen with the slightest of toppers, leaving clear and unobstructed the "picture window views" of my home's bucolic setting....enjoying the best of living in cow country without the work part....

When my son was at the University I did a study with him on the wild horses that come down from the hills about 3 blocks from my house. Sometimes we see them on the side of the road eating the grass or walking around the neighborhood. I found these spiritual beings teaching me about just being the self we are meant to be. We are in a planned community, but I wish they would build a corridor for the horses so they can access the home, food and beauty we took away from them. Some people who are retired stop and direct traffic when they see the horses so they won't get hit.

My only experience with wild horses in their native habitat occurred 40 years and 1 1/2 months ago...yes, I remember that accurately when and where it was....I was driving on a narrow two lane blacktop in a remote area near the Apache reservation in NW New Mexico, with my two oldest children, only 5 and 7 at the time. As my car topped the ridge, we were suddenly in the midst of them, surrounded by them, probably around two dozen of them, as we had come upon them by surpise as they grazed along the roadside. They scattered, then loosely regrouped, as they scrambled, skittered, leaped and slid down a steep rock-strewn slope into a dry wash before dissapearing into the scrub....the while incident lastest only moments, the memory, a lifetime. I've owned several Mustangs, one himself a gentled wild capture, the other a generation removed from wild caughts, known a few more, they are remarkable horses.

It would be wonderful if there were enough like-minded concerned residents in your commmunity to make an access corridor a reality.

Jenell

Archived