Talking To Outspoken Atheist

As far as I'm aware, the only "New Atheist" who openly endorses the term has been Victor Stenger with his book "The New Atheism." Dawkins and Harris call themselves just atheists. Daniel Dennet calls himself a bright, Christopher Hitchens calls himself an anti-theist, Julia Sweeney calls herself a naturalist. Micheal Shermer self-identifies himself as a "scientistic" in reference to "scientism," and Dawkins and .co have all embraced the term "The Four Horsemen" before.

I agree with your point about labeling. I should have been more careful with the use of the New Atheist tag.

The characteristics I am describing are characteristics of individuals and putting labels on a group is counterproductive.

I also agree that friendship would be my starting point, in cases where that is possible. When that is not possible, I am just going for avoidance. I have unfollowed several people on Twitter since starting this thread as I am not comfortable with the abusive style of their rhetoric.

while we share much the (enter your own label) the biggest issue I have is the aggressiveness which they show toward anyone with a spiritual nature. If you can get them to take a step back and consider they sound just like a fundamentalist, they are just as disrespectful as a fundamentalist they will thank you and you can gain an ally. I think most are well meaning just tired of being bullied. I am to.

steve

Archived