Hello Progressive Christianity

Scott_GC

Hello Progressive Christianity Forum members. I came to this forum through Bishop Spong's website. I am a fairly active Episcopalian (meaning I attend most Sundays and am a regular usher). I was raised Nazarene and most of my family are evangelical; I attended an evangelical school for elementary and middle school. I attended a Unitarian Universalist congregation in college and then was unchurched for a number of years before joining the Episcopalian church.

Guest billmc

Welcome, Scott! Glad you found us! I'm a Spong fan myself.

I was never a Nazarene, but I am somewhat fascinated by a guy from Nazareth. Does that count? :lol:

Jump in to our conversations! We have some good ones.

BillMc

Welcome Scott,

A regular usher was my first job in a full gospel church where my serious religious walk seemed to begin. Thanks for the introduction and hoping to read of any nuggets you have personally received in your journey and are willing to share.

Joseph

Thank you for the warm welcomes. I hope I will be able to share.

I have been looking for information and community on the internet recently mainly due to being confronted on Twitter by a friend and his friends who are really into the New Atheist movement. I have been challenged to develop a personal apology which can explain why I am a practicing Christian and support an organized church in the face of their agressive anti-religion arguments.

Hi Scott,

Perhaps you will want to start a thread under the Progressive Christianity section here asking others how they explain why they are practicing Christians to those of an aggressive anti-religion stance? Personally i find no need to defend my beliefs or provide proof to anyone. At this time, i let my life speak for itself to those of other persuasions. However, i am certain you will find many members here who would be willing and do a great job in sharing their reasoning and approach to such contentions as you may be experiencing.

Joseph

Archived