The Fun Side Of Philosophy

minsocal

I like this:

And this claim is stronger than the claim that an agent can consistently have desires that are impossible of simultaneous satisfaction because of features he doesn't know about. For example, Oedipus can want to marry a woman under the description "my fiancee" and want not to marry any woman under the description "my mother" even though in fact one woman satisfies both descriptions. But I am claiming that he can consistently both want to marry Jocasta and want not to marry Jocasta, under the same description. The standard cases of this are cases where he has certain reasons for wanting to marry her and reasons for not wanting to. For example, he might want to marry her because, say, he finds her beautiful and intelligent, and simultaneously not want to marry her because, say, she snores and cracks her knuckles. Such cases are common, but it is also important to point out that a person might find the same features simultaneously desirable and undesirable. He might find her beauty and intelligence exasperating as well as attractive, and he might find her snoring and knuckle-cracking habits endearing as well as repulsive. (Imagine that he thinks to himself: "It is wonderful that she is so beautiful and intelligent, but at the same time it is a bit tiresome; her sitting there being beautiful and intelligent all day long. And it is exasperating to hear her snoring and cracking her knuckles, but at the same time there is something endearing about it. It is so human (Searle, 2001, p. 250).

Myron

So, we can have both a sense of wonder and a sense of dread about life or ultimate reality/God. Sam Keen says you can't have one without the other. You can only enjoy wonder and awe to the extent that you experience anxiety and dread. In the middle of his five is graticule. Gratitude for both.

Dutch

So, we can have both a sense of wonder and a sense of dread about life or ultimate reality/God. Sam Keen says you can't have one without the other. You can only enjoy wonder and awe to the extent that you experience anxiety and dread. In the middle of his five is graticule. Gratitude for both.

Dutch

There are many ways to say it. Here is another:

Schnarch (2000) In Leiblum & Rosen,

"Broadly speaking, differentiation involves the ability to distinguish, develop, and balance two fundamental life forces: desire for communion and contact with others and desire to become more uniquely ourselves and to direct our own destiny. Differentiation is crucial to emotionally committed relationships because they involve the intricate entwinement of these two basic human drives: attachment and the refusal to submit to tyranny."

But ... it is indeed remarkable how "little issues" become "big issues" in relationships.

Myron

Archived