Why Many Of The Spong Subscribers Have Not Continued Here

Dear Joseph,

You have disappointed me.

I still have a paid subscription on this forum since the Spong forumers had no choice in the matter. So, I check in once in a while to see if there is anything I find I'd like to engage in.

Bishop Spong is a radical, yet still a Christian, so I can understand why the transition was made. However, some of us who were drawn to his forum were attracted to his perspectives which involved politics and world view. He actually became more involved in those perspectives as time went on.If anyone notices, he's doing that more and more.

So now our Spong forum members have been shuffled into this new arena of Christianity, and it's called, "progressive". I fail to see how progressive it is and I fail to appreciate the connection.

Bishop Spong does not, in my opinion, fit into this new forum.

No matter what you say, I don't believe that current issues are welcome here. It's a Christian forum and obviously based on the bible.

The only reason I am posting right now is to explain to you how you don't seem to grasp how many people have been lost in the transition, nor does it seem you even care.

Your last closing of my thread on 911 is what prompted me to write here. After a member of the Spong forum who really didn't have any intention of continuing here posted (after I assured her how friendly and open-minded this forum was) you elected to close the thread, and you gave, in my opinion, vague and untrue reasons for doing so. So George and Ron gave it the thumbs down? Do you not realize what's going on here? I thought you did, but obviously, you changed your thinking for some reason.

Well, you lost that Spong member (among so many others) and you lost me.

I'm sure you will respond with some politically correct jargon, but please know that I think this is just plain wrong and obviously I was correct in that you are the administrator or a CHRISTIAN website, which only wants to deal with biblical or Christian based fundamental subjects, and have no interest in exploring how current world issues affect them.

Bishop Spong does, and so many of us are so disappointed that the progressive thinking people on his forum were nurtured by his lead and then let down by those who supposedly follow him. I'm guessing that some of his 'followers' don't really get what he's saying at all.

I didn't post to cause a problem here, but just to let you know that it's not all about interpreting the bible today. It's about how religion, and Christianity specifically is affected by the real world of today.

I'm sorry if I don't fit in with your group here. I think that unless people here are concerned about the 'Rapture' all this discussion to try to figure out if the bible is accurate or not is really moot today.

So little time, so much time wasted.

Best of luck to you and your posters.

kath

Kath,

It seems , from your post above, you have already made up your mind so I will not bore you with a line by line response of what you might consider "politically correct " jargon. Best wishes to you also and hoping you find what you are looking for.

JosephM (Admin)

Kath,

I started thinking of all the people I miss from the old Forum, especially Judith but also Kelly and so many others.

Some of the gang has continued, but for the most part Progressive Christianity is a whole different experience.

I wrote Judith an e-mail telling her how great it was to hear from her.She appreciated being acknowledged, but it seems like she has decided not to participate further.

This is, for better or worse, a Christian Forum.When it gets too "Christian" for me, I go to Sam Harris's website, and forum. Some very interesting stuff.

Kay

Hi Kay,

Good to hear from you again. You are certainly correct that this is indeed a Christian related website howbeit one that does its best to welcome all of different religious persuasions or even none at all. There is never a requirement to become Christian or believe as others may here.

The Bishop Spong area, as you know, is also as he defines "A new Christianity for a New World" and was set up here primarily to doscuss topics of his newsletters. Unfortunately we can't please the needs of everyone here without upsetting some. It seems to me your indirect advice is good being.... "when it gets too Christian" for individuals it is best to look elsewhere, at least for the time being.

I hope you will continue to return and participate in the Spong newsletter topics and hope you also feel welcome to participate in other area of the board.

Sincerely,

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...

The Bishop Spong area, as you know, is also as he defines "A new Christianity for a New World" and was set up here primarily to doscuss topics of his newsletters. Unfortunately we can't please the needs of everyone here without upsetting some. It seems to me your indirect advice is good being.... "when it gets too Christian" for individuals it is best to look elsewhere, at least for the time being.

I am a Spong supporter and subscriber. I came to this forum because it was the only forum available to the Spong subscribers.

Although I haven't been around long and so cannot comment on the posts of others written above, I will say that I am surprised - and discomfited - by some of the right-wing Christian perspectives espoused here. I haven't decided for sure, but I am considering relinquishing membership to this board.

This post is not meant as criticism but rather as feedback about how some (read: at least me) Spong supporters might feel.

Thank you for listening.

Rabbi Benjamin

I will say that I am surprised - and discomfited - by some of the right-wing Christian perspectives espoused here. I haven't decided for sure, but I am considering relinquishing membership to this board.

This post is not meant as criticism but rather as feedback about how some (read: at least me) Spong supporters might feel.

Thank you for listening.

Rabbi Benjamin

Rabbi,

I hope you will continue to participate in this forum. Your contributions are valuable and may influence and modify some of the "right-wing" perspectives.

George

Rabbi Benjamin,

We are inclusive here and do allow all views on certain areas of this TCPC forum only. The PC area is off limits to many and so is the Spong area. Only members/moderators can start threads and all others are expected to behave as guests in those areas. Most extremists stay in the debate area and leave after a short time or violate our behavior rules and are banned. GeorgeW is handling and leading the Spong area now. It can have its own debate section and rules if he desires. The Spong area is new here as you know and will take some time to fully develope. Guidelines can be set to prevent 'right-wing Christian perspectives' from being espoused there. That forum can be expanded to please its members so please do not allow what you see on other areas of the TCPC forum to affect your participation in that area. Spong members can participate or ignore other areas. In fact, if desired it is possible to keep the Spong forum private or off limits from posting or view by other than subscribers if GeorgeW and TCPC.org should decide that is in the best interest. Perhaps you can discuss any concerns you have privately with GeorgeW. Taking into account other Spong member views also, he may be able to come up with recommendations we can implement to make the experience here more enjoyable to you and others as a Spong member.

JosephM (as Admin)

Archived