Political Neutrality

I got the December issue of the TCPC Newletter in the mail and I was wondering ever since if author James R.Adams was recommending Political Neutrality or not. Because it really sounded like it. If he he..I am NOT condemmming him for this at all. It's just I wasn't sure.

Here, I will show you what I mean, by quoting him:

"Religious networks make a mistake by becoming identified with the fate of any one political party. The Democratic Party did not do a much better job of representing our hopes and aspirations than the winners. Although I think that backing Ralph Nader would have been a mistake, he may have been correct in accusing the Democrats of being just as beholden to big-money interests as Republicans."

" In ancient times, somebody attributed to Jesus the observation, “My kingdom is not of this world.” I certainly wouldn’t want politicians who identified themselves as progressive Christians running the country anymore than I like selfproclaimed born-again Christians being in charge. I think that having any religious group dominate the government is dangerous. In my opinion, our focus must be on the transformation of ourselves, our churches, and our society—in that order."

What do YOU think?

IMO,

1) There is a difference between being "non-Partisan" (not overtly favoring any one political Party) and being "politically neutral." One can hold strong political views about policy and philosophy and not be beholden to any particular political party.

2) I rather like Jim Wallis' take on this (head of Sojourner's Community); i.e.

that "When it comes to politics, the Religious Right gets it wrong and the Left doesn't get it." Sojourner's recently had a campaign complete with newspaper ads and bumperstickers proclaiming "God is not a Republican, or a Democrat."

So basically, you should vote for the issues that you feel supports social justice and not focus on just being loyal to one party or that other? Is that it? Well, what if none of the parties support enough of the social justice views that you hold? Or one if one party's candidate hold's one major social justice view but then totoally rejects another that you feel passionately about? And you feel it is impossible for you to choose between the two?

I have often wondered that 'if' a person was a Progressive and did support social justice for all...'could' they really be politically 'neutral'? Or are there degrees? Any thoughts?

As for me, I vote for the candidate who's party platforms have more in common with my views than the other parties - with the hopes that they will be more open to being influenced (lobbied) to adopt my other policy preferences than had the other party won the election. In reality, this means that I most often vote for Democrat candidates - with a few exceptions on a case by case basis.

One thing that often has concerned me is the far the the far right often using their religion to try and rule our government...while...how to we as Progressive Christians make sure that we stay true to our Progressive Christian views withOUT infriging upon the belief that Church & State should remain seperate?