I Think I Get It!

murmsk

For as long as I have gone to church as an adult the concept of Jesus dieing for my/our sins has made no sense. I have asked hundreds of people from clergy to lay over the years what it means and have gotten answers ranging from "yes he did isn't it wonderful" to "that was the whole reason Jesus came". I have never been able to see it . The fact that no one has been able to explain it suggests that no one else understands it either and its a blind faith thing.

Well driving to work this morning I think I get it. While I drank my morning coffee I re-read Dr. Kings "Letter from the Birmingham Jail" . In a very real sense MLK died for the sins of his era. Died for the sins of the white domination system. Died for the sins of every white person who kept him mouth shut knowing Jim Crow was wrong. Died for those who had been dominated. Died to make a better society. Died to make us more Jesus like. Died so my children wouldn't make the same sins my forebearers made.

Steve

For as long as I have gone to church as an adult the concept of Jesus dieing for my/our sins has made no sense. I have asked hundreds of people from clergy to lay over the years what it means and have gotten answers ranging from "yes he did isn't it wonderful" to "that was the whole reason Jesus came". I have never been able to see it . The fact that no one has been able to explain it suggests that no one else understands it either and its a blind faith thing.

Well driving to work this morning I think I get it. While I drank my morning coffee I re-read Dr. Kings "Letter from the Birmingham Jail" . In a very real sense MLK died for the sins of his era. Died for the sins of the white domination system. Died for the sins of every white person who kept him mouth shut knowing Jim Crow was wrong. Died for those who had been dominated. Died to make a better society. Died to make us more Jesus like. Died so my children wouldn't make the same sins my forebearers made.

Steve

Good analogy. Two martyrs for a cause. Either could have easily shut up or renounced their beliefs but choose to press on and accept the consequences.

We (White Southerners) attend Ebenezer Baptist Church whenever we are in Atlanta on a Sunday and will be there next Sunday. We always leave inspired and uplifted. MLK's legacy and spirit live on.

George

May I add Gandhi to this list? I think Mother Theresa might belong, though it is a shame Christopher Hitchens trashed her name so vehemently. Double irony that I admire Hitch as a writer and intellect and he is now dying of cancer, planning to die an atheist though he is not angry at the Christians praying for him, just amused.

By the way, GeorgeW, could we meet at Ebineezer this Sunday? I am always interested in meeting fellow Spongites, though perhaps we have already met at Spong's last appearance in Atlanta? Anyways, I could attend Ebineezer this Sunday, May 1st. I have never been to that church. Email me c/o IP board/Spong Forum if you would like to meet up.

I kind of see things the same way-- that Jesus died to achieve something for us that we couldn't obtain on our own. As if Adam put a wall between man and God, and Jesus "flung" humanity over the wall again.

Blessings,

brian

Archived