Religion Vs. Magic

GeorgeW

"So, when I say that I think we should only discard the dirty bath water, I mean that, within the Christian Church, the message of Jesus is diluted because the focus is on the miracle. Tell me I'm wrong about that! I've read many of your posts in here, and that is the impression I get"

Thanks, Norm! I appreciate your thoughts. I don't think you have "a problem" that I'm trying to solve. I appreciate your honesty, and I want to assure you that my personal faith is not focused on the miracle, but rather the message I tried to state in my previous posts. It may be because I am part of a pretty "liberal" United Methodist congregation, but I think the majority of the old "Mainline" protestant denominations are moving in the same direction you are with their collective thinking.

Anytime any part of Christianity is used as a justification for hatred, it is VERY dirty bathwater!!

Janet

Thank you for actually reading my posts. I think some tend to focus on my lack of esoteric / conciliatory rhetoric and bypass the message - I suspect intentionally so.

I have attended some liberal Christian churches and can get quite a bit further into a discussion about doubting the supernatural than I would in many other circles except the Jews, who are quite accepting of the idea of a secular faith.

In all honesty, I have some serious problems with folks who worship the Bible (or Koran for that matter). One must allow for human error and ignorance when it comes to the ancient's understanding of things like slavery, women's rights, abortion (which is actually condoned in the Tanakh), and homosexuality. I believe that human society is an evolutionary process much like our bodies. When we hold onto old ideas and traditions to the detriment of society, we "deny the resurrection," if you get my meaning. ;)

NORM

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. I think it is for each of us to try to help God's kingdom come on Earth. (make the world a better place for ALL).

This is a very Jewish idea. When I converted to Judaism, this is a point that was stressed quite a bit. It stands in contrast to the Christian notion of "heaven" which many see as a place outside of our present reality. This never really appealed to me - even when I was a believing Christian.

The Jews speak of "The World to Come," and many believe that it is right here on earth and that Moshiac is not a literal person, but the "redeemed society" that will bring about this world without war, bloodshed and violence.

I'm still not convinced it's possible. At least, not in my lifetime. But I do believe it is a goal worth working toward.

I'll take a little peace on earth over a crown in heaven any day!

NORM

Norm,

Thanks for your replies! I agree with you that the complete goal of helping God's kingdom come on Earth will not probably happen in our lifetimes, but we can do our best to affect the part of the world we feel called to help. If many of us are working toward a common goal, and we teach our children that goal, it infuses much meaning to our humanity and how we live on this earth. I believe it truly does matter.

I think human understanding of God has evolved and is evolving. I am encouraged my many of the social progress we have made. The Bible has been used on both sides of just about every social debate. There's a interesting book called The Bible Tells Me So that illustrates that point.

Our conversation here has been quite apropos, as yesterday I was questioned whether I believe in the Harrowing of Hell and what its purpose was. My first response was, "It really isn't important to me."

Janet

Archived