Scriptures For Meditations/singing Psalms?

In another thread on this forum, I was introduced to Evagrius' Antirrheticus, a manual with 500 thoughts and circumstances a person might encounter where meditating on Bible verses might help them. I usually pray, rather than meditate on scripture when I am facing trouble, and I wanted to know if anyone on this forum has found scripture meditation useful. and if you could give me examples.

I have been having small talks with my teenage son about anger, so I thought I would look up English translation of Antirrheticus to see what Bible verses were suggested for vaious anger-provoking situations. However, this translation I found

http://www.ldysinger.com/evagrius/07_Antirrhet/00a_start.htm

did not have an active link for Anger. Following other links I found another translation of the anger part that basically said for anger one should sing the psalms. I know there have been attempts in the past to set psalms to more modern music, but I haven't been wild about any of them. I am not sure there is any particular magic about the music being psalms anyway, but rather music that speaks to God. Does anyone have any suggestions or comments about that idea?

I think a modern-day version of Antirrheticus would be awesome but I don't feel inspired to write it. Anyone? :)

Janet

I've found I have some moods where repetition of the Lord's Prayer can be quite powerful. Calvin has a good rant about it's stucture, and how the first half is praising God and the second half is a request for help.

I also find pouring over Ecclesiastes, remembering constantly that this author's entire point wasn't that we should despair, but that we should be happy despite how all is vapor, to be interesting.

I've found I have some moods where repetition of the Lord's Prayer can be quite powerful. Calvin has a good rant about it's stucture, and how the first half is praising God and the second half is a request for help.

I also find pouring over Ecclesiastes, remembering constantly that this author's entire point wasn't that we should despair, but that we should be happy despite how all is vapor, to be interesting.

Thanks for your reply, Nick! Ecclesiastes is one of my favorite books of the Bible. I'm definitely identifying more than ever with that author at this point in life. I've involuntarily evoked Psalm 23 before when stressed. I have been thinking that modern day devotional guides are sometimes written in the format where there is a situation that might be troubling the reader with a scripture and a blurb about how it applies to the situation. So maybe Antirhetticos isn't so unique after all.

Archived