New Member Exploring Faith

Maida

What a weight is lifted by John Spong's first chapter of New Christianity. No longer are we expected to believe in human sacrifice, miraculous supernatural births, or original sin. As a follower of George Fox (A.S. 1652), Robert Barclay (A.D. 1670) and, I hope and attempt, Jesus (A.D.30) I find it a help to find some of their beliefs affirmed by John Spong. Christianity, held back by unchanging dogmas and creeds, will refresh itself once basic beliefs can be held without the luggage of pagan throwbacks.

We can love one another, help the distressed, hold to the truth, try to live ethical lives, and experience awe at the wonders of this world, without invoking primitive rewards and punishments. The miracles of every day - the sprouting of seeds, the natural birth of a baby, the experience of a symphony or a sunset -- are better than any imagined supernatural miracle. The Spirit is all around us, and in us. Thanks to John Spong, for recognizing and expressing this, and giving us the confidence to share in the Spirit. In Friendship, Maida

I was fortunate enough to be able to hear Spong for an entire weekend in Atlanta, Ga in Sept.2010. He was wonderful but also very adamant about his beliefs. You can see some of my ideas in the Spong section under theheading "The "concept" of Jesus and Paul as CEO" where I expand some of my ideas after reading Spong and some other authors.

Kay

Welcome to the forum, Maida! I enjoyed, "A New Christianity for a New World" immensely also. I would, however, call it a New Spirituality rather than a new Christianity as the term Christianity, IMO, has too much baggage to be redeemable. But I appreciate and value Jack's work in trying to stay within the church and call it to reform.

Archived