Fundamentalism And Tolerance

GeorgeW

I was allowed, as a child, to experience other religions with my friends, so I wasn't heavily indoctrinated into any one particular church.

Perhaps this is the key. Fortunately, I abandoned fundamentalism prior to having my own children. We were quite open to other faith expressions and encouraged our children to freely explore spirituality from various expressions. As a result, they are as comfortable in a Jewish synagogue or Muslim mosque as they are in a Baptist or Catholic church.

I think there are many books which teach words of wisdom very similar to that of your example, although they do not, at the same time, instill fear and prejudice in the reader and believer as the bible does. I would surmise that whatever circumstances (and I know the scholars have written on this) made the bible into the #1 best selling book of all time and the most influential, it certainly was not God's doing.

Yes, unfortunately, the nuggets of wisdom are surrounded by shards of ignorance in the Bible. Thomas Jefferson famously extracted all of what he believed worthwhile portions of the New Testament and expunged the miracles and "nonsense." It is a very thin book!

Jefferson Bible.

NORM

Archived