Hi There

Sethian

Hello. Before I get myself too comfy here, I thought I'd ask a question.

Do you folks consider Gnostics to be part of the Christian family? As my board name implies, I consider myself a Christian of the variety that was peculiar to those Gnostics that academia now refers to as Sethian. Those same scholars are now arguing the fact(?) that many of those groups that we have placed under the label of Gnosticism (and out of Christianity) would have been appalled to be called anything but Christian. They also argue that the definition of Christian might have been much more fluid (and inclusive?) than it is today. How about this community? Do you accept Gnostics as part of the family? :)

Sethian,

I believe if you will read over our eight points here at TCPC, you will find yourself very welcome here both with the label of Christian or without.

Joseph

PS It is considered rude here to call or infer a person is non Christian because their beliefs may differ on any dogma or doctrine.

Hello. Before I get myself too comfy here, I thought I'd ask a question.

Do you folks consider Gnostics to be part of the Christian family? As my board name implies, I consider myself a Christian of the variety that was peculiar to those Gnostics that academia now refers to as Sethian. Those same scholars are now arguing the fact(?) that many of those groups that we have placed under the label of Gnosticism (and out of Christianity) would have been appalled to be called anything but Christian. They also argue that the definition of Christian might have been much more fluid (and inclusive?) than it is today. How about this community? Do you accept Gnostics as part of the family? :)

As a matter of history, I think fluid is a safer bet than inclusive.

And I agree with JosephM completely. If I think a productive and respectful debate would be worthwhile, I'll politely point out where I disagree with something, but I have no interest in policing a term.

But in either case, hi there :)

Thanks for the nice welcome. I've checked out the eight points and like what's there. As a Sethian, communion is not part of my practice, but I'm certainly all for inviting everyone to the table for a good friendly meal. :D

btw, who's Steve!?! :huh:

Archived