The Next Christians

halinsalem

I have read about half of this book to this point. Mr. Lyons does not question your religion or your beliefs, but he does make some suggestions about how we practice what Jesus taught us. Here are two excerpts that I thought were noteworthy from the first half of the book:

From “The Next Christians” by Gabe Lyons

(Page 78) Some Christians are creating and cultivating good culture simply by serving others in their neighborhoods, on their campuses and throughout cities. As human beings, and especially as Christians, we have a special calling to address the basic needs of others. Part of our responsibility is “to feed, to clothe, and to protect” – which cultivates the common basis for how life is structured in a pluralistic society ……………

(Page 103) But there is a counterfeit idea that I call the predominant good. And, there’s very little good about it. Predominant good is based on the idea of the collective public interest. It’s a different take on the common good but with a glaring distinction worth noting. The definition of the public interest is “the most good for the most people.” Notice the one word change – instead of good for “all” people, it is only good for “most” people. By default, this counterfeit idea makes room to exclude those who have nothing helpful to offer to the “most.” Taking this view to its logical extreme, the strongest survive and the weak are left to fend for themselves. The majority (or, more often, those in power) does what’s best for itself and protects its way of life, devaluing those with little voice in the system – the young, the disabled, the elderly, the poor, the unborn, or anyone who could threaten the money, time and resources of the majority.

Hal

You have raised an excellent point which has many facets to its profile.

Can you give us a bio on Gabe Lyons?

I got this book recently at the library - it was in the "new" non-fiction section. The back leaf of the dust cover says: "Lyons set out on a personal journey, leaving his comfortable job to found Q (qideas.org), a learning community that mobilizes Christians to advance the common good. He also commissioned stunning research, which became the basis of his landmark book "UnChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks About Christianity and Why It Matters."

I will look for his landmark book the next time I go to the library, which will probably be tomorrow. The philosophy he advocates seems to strike me very positively.

Hal

I went to the llibrary yesterday and was able to take out the book entitled "UN Christian". It is a book whose author is David Kinnaman, co-authored by Gabe Lyons. There was a great deal of research involved, most of which was conducted by Mr. Kinnaman, so he is listed as the primary author. It was published in 2007. They limited their research to the age group 16 through 29. Of the "outsiders"in this age group, that is the individuals who do not attend church regularly, for whatever reason, 38% claim to have a 'bad impression of present-day Christianity.'

This research evidently persuaded Mr. Lyons to create a new organization with the intention of attempting to improve Christianity's image. The "Q" website is: www.qideas.org/about/history-mission.aspx.

This is all new to me, but I am interested enough to do some exploring (and reading). At the moment, I do not know where this will lead.

Hal

Archived