The Jesus Of History And The Christ Of Faith

pepecheva

Hi to everyone,

I just graduated with a master in theology. My submitted thesis was on the Logos Christology, and while doing the research I found so many stepping stones.

I just finished reading the Book "Why Christianity Must Change or Die" by Spong, and was just amazed by it, since that is described in the book is just the way I have thought since I started my studies in theology. At the present time I am writing an article, and hopefully professor Spong will read it when I finish, on "The priesthood of Christ and the Ministry of the Priest (s)." I just want to prove that no one, absolutely no one operates IN PERSONA CHRISTI, since I am also a strong believer that God respects human individualities... my point, Jesus was a man of his time, and there is no one who will ever be like him. I believe God wants me to be like me, and not like anyone else. What's more, I am sure that we certainly can operate, or function, in His Name, but not in His own Person...

great days for everyone!!!!

Hi Pepecheva,

Welcome to the forum. It would be interesting to hear how you would prove such a claim. I am all ears. Perhaps you will start a thread in the debate section with a link to your writing if it is long. Glad you have found us and i think you will find others here who would be interested to hear your view. Agreement is always optional. smile.gif But respect for your right to express your thoughts/views and that of others without disrespectful feedback is a requirement. Enjoy and share.

Joseph

Hi to everyone,

I just graduated with a master in theology. My submitted thesis was on the Logos Christology, and while doing the research I found so many stepping stones.

I just finished reading the Book "Why Christianity Must Change or Die" by Spong, and was just amazed by it, since that is described in the book is just the way I have thought since I started my studies in theology. At the present time I am writing an article, and hopefully professor Spong will read it when I finish, on "The priesthood of Christ and the Ministry of the Priest (s)." I just want to prove that no one, absolutely no one operates IN PERSONA CHRISTI, since I am also a strong believer that God respects human individualities... my point, Jesus was a man of his time, and there is no one who will ever be like him. I believe God wants me to be like me, and not like anyone else. What's more, I am sure that we certainly can operate, or function, in His Name, but not in His own Person...

Pepecheva,

First, congratulations on your graduation.

Second, I am pleased that Bishop Spong's writing resonate with you. However, while I personally agree with much of Spong's theology, there are a couple of aspects that bother me. I don't think that his theology is for everyone and some people need a more concrete, more literal understanding of God and the Bible. We should, IMO, recognize that these are not matters than can be objectively proven and can reasonably differ according to one's needs and worldview. But, Bishop Spong has no tolerance of those who are more traditional in their beliefs.

I am also not fond of the imperative "must die" regarding traditional beliefs. I would prefer a more tolerant attitude toward the benign beliefs of others, even if fundamentalist. The portions of their beliefs, if any, that are not benign (racist, sexist, homophobic, militaristic, etc.) should be condemned. Those that are benign, should be, IMO, respected.

George

Good Morning...

While reading the posts, I can't help but think of something that George Fox, the founder of The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) pointed out. Fox's position on the Bible and theology was that we can quote and follow existing religions, but what do WE say? What do We know, in our hearts? What has our OWN journey revealed as we discover Faith? I also believe that we have our own Spiritual identities that we can discover as we follow our own life's Faith journey, a theme of the ancient Gnostics as well. Trying to 'be like' Jesus is not the same as understanding the teaching of Jesus. Imitating God is not the same as understanding that God dwells within us and not just without. To look within, and not without, is a journey of a lifetime that, to me, leads to True Faith. Jesus knew this and simply points the way with his teachings. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just a note from moderator to all thread posters for information only....

Please note....

This area is for introductions and greetings and welcome related remarks to our new members and is not intended for serious discussions concerning the topic title or description introduced here which would be more appropriate in the debate and dialog section.

JosephM (as Moderator)

Just a note from moderator to all thread posters for information only....

Please note....

This area is for introductions and greetings and welcome related remarks to our new members and is not intended for serious discussions concerning the topic title or description introduced here which would be more appropriate in the debate and dialog section.

JosephM (as Moderator)

Sorry again for violating the rules. When I see a comment and a reply button, my inclination is to . . . well, reply. Maybe, the structure of the board is a little too complex for the simple minded such as me.

George

Hi to everyone,

Pepecheva,

I apologize to you and any others who might have been offended by my inappropriate response and and choice of venue to your introduction.

George

Archived