The Complete Gospels

Wayseer

Just received The Complete Gospels edited by Robert J. Miller; a publication of the Jesus Seminar. I have been looking forward to this book for some time now and I'm not disappointed.

Just a few extracts from the Forward, Preface and Introduction.

... canonical boundaries are not real boundaries for those interested in the full story of how Christianity took its rise.

Our intention was to wake the reader up to the force of the text by employing fresh, new language.

We strive to avoid both talking down to readers and talking over their heads; we hope rather to communicate with readers as partners in a common goal; understanding these fascinating documents.

The book contains 21 gospel texts including Oxy 840 and 1224. Other inclusion are the Greek and Coptic version of the GoT, the Gs of James, Mary, Peter, the Egerton fragment and the Infancy Gospels of Thomas and James - a compendium. And all written in the idiom of the Scholars Version of the biblical texts. (One cannot call it a Bible - it is more than the Bible).

This is a fresh 21st century text translation - the team going back to the original documents - which adds a dimension that makes it immensely readable and one where you don't have to keep reaching for a biblical dictionary.

The texts start with Mark rather than Matthew. Having read through Mark I found I could relate a whole lot better to the narrative as it unfolded - it made sense. I look forward to the other texts. I think I will enjoy this treasure for some time.

If you think you might like a different approach to the sometimes thorny issue of the historical Jesus - this is for you.

That looks really cool. Thanks :)

How much historical information do each of the texts get?

There is a brief yet informative introduction which deals with the historicity of the text along with major themes and construction which will serve all but the most experienced theologian.

The layout is also worth a mention.

There are margins - margins one can write one's own notes therein. But also there are all the cross references needed for parallels, quotations and allusions as well as notes on the original text.

With so much information packed into 460 odd pages my only criticism is that the print can get a bit small for those of us who are more optically challenged.

There is also an excellent 'further reading' list.

There is a brief yet informative introduction which deals with the historicity of the text along with major themes and construction which will serve all but the most experienced theologian.

The layout is also worth a mention.

There are margins - margins one can write one's own notes therein. But also there are all the cross references needed for parallels, quotations and allusions as well as notes on the original text.

With so much information packed into 460 odd pages my only criticism is that the print can get a bit small for those of us who are more optically challenged.

There is also an excellent 'further reading' list.

Those things I put in bold are very cool.

It's going on my list. Thanks

Those things I put in bold are very cool.

It's going on my list. Thanks

If you enjoy Funk and Miller's The Complete Gospels you also might enjoy the Westar Institute. Funk founded it and out of it sprang the Jesus Seminar. The Westar Institute publishes a magazine, The Fourth R, like in 'Reading, 'Riting, 'Rithmatic, and the Fourth R, Religion. I just received the current edition today. The Fourth R is subtitled, An Advocate for Religious Literacy. A noble quest, but only a small following ;>) . Their website is here.

I hope I'm not re-hashing old stuff, being new here.

Pax Bonum,

Ron

Archived