The New Spong Message Board

I have no ideal how this works. Only wanted to reply to Bishop Spong's January 5 essay re/ Matthew's Joseph in the old & new testaments. I'll need to do some

searching for assistance. Why does everything have to be so complicated? Never mind. I know the answer to that one.

I have no ideal how this works. Only wanted to reply to Bishop Spong's January 5 essay re/ Matthew's Joseph in the old & new testaments. I'll need to do some

searching for assistance. Why does everything have to be so complicated? Never mind. I know the answer to that one.

You're not alone. However, we will learn. The other format was so intuitive (after one became intuitive ;>) so maybe we will get there with this one.

Keep the faith,

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

You're not alone. However, we will learn. The other format was so intuitive (after one became intuitive ;>) so maybe we will get there with this one.

Keep the faith,

Ron

Where has all the flowers gone? I`m lost - seems like I have to have two passwords, they send you a message, you open it up, your old password won´t work - my old subscription ran out - so what do I do now? The old forum was so simple - send me a message so I can probably answer it and stay on. Joe - I wonder if my name has changed?

not even a place to post it, all it says is attach this file

Hi Marcia,

A question? Based upon Saul/Paul's declaration of being a

Roman citizen and employed as an enforcer of Roman Law could he have been acquainted with Matthew, another Tax collecting Roman employee? The reason I'm asking, is Paul/Saul's motivation for oppressing the Followers of The Way, who were all Jews? Could it have been because of their committing Tax Evasion after paying their taxes to support the Temple. As Followers of the Way, the Israelite contingent of Jews would still be obligated for the 10% annual Tithing to the Temple and the only segment of the Palestinian Population subjected to this double form of taxation. Matthew as the local tax collector in Jerusalem, naturally would call for assistence to enforce Roman Tax Law, and Mr. Saul would be one of the likely enforcers, wouldn't you think? Just thinking of the Politics Jesus had to contend with that Christianity never seems to elaborate on.

Be Well,

The Juanster

• 3 weeks later...

I`m kind of lost, where have all my friends gone - Judith and the good old friends, I can´t get on the old spong Forum, just renewed my subscription. Where do I go from here, found this one, but it doesn´t seem to be the same. Something is missing. Joe

• 3 weeks later...

I`m kind of lost, where have all my friends gone - Judith and the good old friends, I can´t get on the old spong Forum, just renewed my subscription. Where do I go from here, found this one, but it doesn´t seem to be the same. Something is missing. Joe

Hi Maxwell, I can't even get the right font or size.

I read from Judith that she was no longer going to do anymore posting.

Syl

yeah! ...... US!!! :lol::P

We'll figure it out, not to worry! Or else we'll find another forum, but let's try to work with this one for a while and see where it goes.....?

Kath

Just the place for me, this forum: Also a brand new member (yesterday, 3/9). Despite pc familiarity, can't get a handle on the site, which, as I'm beginning to understand is going through its own growing pains. So, I'll keep watching here to get better sense of it. Meanwhile, I'm a former RC priest in 80th year, variety of post clerical experiences, academic and other, muy simpatico with Spong's thinking and analyses, happily learning student of his scriptural commentaries, generally benign malcontent respecting matters of organzied religion. Mostly looking for interchanges about current cosmology and a dozen related subjects, philosophical mostly, but theological too from broadly Christian orientation..

Just the place for me, this forum: Also a brand new member (yesterday, 3/9). Despite pc familiarity, can't get a handle on the site, which, as I'm beginning to understand is going through its own growing pains. So, I'll keep watching here to get better sense of it. Meanwhile, I'm a former RC priest in 80th year, variety of post clerical experiences, academic and other, muy simpatico with Spong's thinking and analyses, happily learning student of his scriptural commentaries, generally benign malcontent respecting matters of organzied religion. Mostly looking for interchanges about current cosmology and a dozen related subjects, philosophical mostly, but theological too from broadly Christian orientation..

Hi Mick!

Seriously? A former RCP in 80th year of life who is amazingly progressive and still searching and open to other thoughts and perspectives?

Wow!

I admire you already.

I think this forum might be a great place to find so many people from different walks of life and perspectives, and I look forward to hearing yours.

Kath

Hello Mick,

Welcome to the forum. Please have a look at Diarmuid O'Murchu's website. You might find it interesting.

Looking forward to hearing your views on many things.

Rosemary

Hi Mick,

I hope you decide to stay and interact with us. It's not often we have the wisdom of 80 years to avail ourselves to. There is another RC priest who was with us on the old Spong forum, he's a missionary in the Amazon region. His name is Roy Joseph O'Shea. I like discussing philosophical stuff and cosmology as well as the next guy.

paz

Harry

HI Mick,

Welcome aboard. I'm sure with your background, you can bring some insight we laymen would never have thought of. By my not knowing how familiar you were with the former Spong forum, I'll say you would of been very highly appreciated there.

One of the topics I had introduced and couldn't get a lot of input about was, the Origns of the Mindset of many Fundamentalist Protestants, back during the healthcare debates, was the idea that the working classes, being mostly the descendants of Slaves, did not deserve healthcare, but that God should provide whatever they needed. This was voiced during a Washinton Journal broadcast on CSPAN,9/16/09.

Considering the resistence experienced by the Dems. in trying to get the healthcare bill passed, the above mindset was manefested in the hard fought battle against it and the pubic option by the Repubs.

My ears pricked up when I heard the above statement, due to some history I'd ran across written by Michael Hoffman; "They Were White and Enslaved", giving some of the history of the white middle passage from England to the American British Colonies. As I delved deeper into the subject of White Slavery and to what extent it was practised by the British Empire, I came across the works of Peter Wilson Coldham's geneological study of how laws were created for the purpose of enslaving Whites, placing them under contracts of Indenture and working them to death literally, by the Elites of British society, who relegated them as a Chattel Class, a result of the industrialization of the Empire and the fall of Serfdom. This dispossed agrarian mass of British subjects, to survive, in many cases, resorted to crime. The history of the "Diggers" will give a sampling of what life was like for these former Serfs. Added to this group were those religious and political dissidents, resulting from the expansionism of the British Empire, such as the creation of the Plantations of Ulster. This was the motivating factor for the British Empire to enact the Transpotation Act as a method to rid it's self of the dregs of it's society and use them as Free Labor in the Colonies.

This is the suppressed history of The United States in America I discovered that isn't very widely known.

I said all of this to provide a context for this question; What is your opinion of the Papal Bull of Nicolas the 5th and the Doctrine of Discovery which morphed from it?

This is just the tip of the iceberg of fun we can have discussing this topic, but it is direly needed to fill in the gaps of what is not being taught about who we really are, in this Government's scheme of things. The irony of this is that it has been staring the citizens of this Nation, in the face for the past 400 years and was actually further revealed in the Preamble to the American Constitution. (This I can show you later, if interested)

Oh,btw, this is the topic and history deleted by the old forum that I'd arcived and no longer have access to. From the questions I asked, it highlights the part Religion has/is playing in the development of Mindsets of the future.

Be Well my Friend,

The Juanster

Hello Mick,

Welcome to the forum. Please have a look at Diarmuid O'Murchu's website. You might find it interesting.

Looking forward to hearing your views on many things.

Rosemary

Hi Rose,

Can you give the Link to the Diarmuid O'Murchu's website, Thanks.

The Juanster

Hi Rose,

Can you give the Link to the Diarmuid O'Murchu's website, Thanks.

The Juanster

Sorry but I've no idea how to do links. I just google Diarmuid O'Murchu and his site comes up.

I have been on retreat with him and he is a very interesting and knowledgeable man who has written several books, most of which are way beyond me, but I feel sure you will enjoy reading them. Yes, just google his name.

Best wishes,

Rosemary

• 1 year later...

Can anyone please tell me the title and date of the essay which begins "Seek the truth always, come whence it may ,cost what it will" Thank you, Tom Kennedy

I found one that ends with that phrase in the last paragraph - 10 Nov 2011 "Facing the political realities of institutional church life in the launch of reclaiming the bible for a non-religious world".

In fact, if you search that phrase on Spong's members site there are several articles which include it, but I couldn't find one that starts with it sorry.

Cheers

Paul