The God I Left Behind

This is the title of a book I've been writing for the last five or six years. It's about my journey from fundamentalist Christianity to faith. A publisher in Canada has suggested I get some people to have a look at it and comment before publishing. I've got a couple of people here in the UK looking at it but it would be good to have some folk I don't know give it the once over. I need real criticism, not the kind that's diluted by friendship. Having been a writer for many years I think I know how to receive criticism and how to act on it (or not, as the case may be). Comments so far have been that it's 'engaging' and 'readable', which is encouraging, but I'd like to know people's opnions of the content and especially the ideas I set out relating to some of my alternative theology.

If you would like to have a copy, please respond to this posting and I'll attach one in RTF format to my reply.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the title of a book I've been writing for the last five or six years. It's about my journey from fundamentalist Christianity to faith. A publisher in Canada has suggested I get some people to have a look at it and comment before publishing. I've got a couple of people here in the UK looking at it but it would be good to have some folk I don't know give it the once over. I need real criticism, not the kind that's diluted by friendship. Having been a writer for many years I think I know how to receive criticism and how to act on it (or not, as the case may be). Comments so far have been that it's 'engaging' and 'readable', which is encouraging, but I'd like to know people's opnions of the content and especially the ideas I set out relating to some of my alternative theology.

If you would like to have a copy, please respond to this posting and I'll attach one in RTF format to my reply.

Brian

I would be pleased to look your book over. At 72 I am still formulating what my form of Christianity should be, and what God expects of me and my life. My email is oldnavy@gulftel.com

I read a lot and lead a discussion group on religious topics, so I am not sure how quickly I will be able to review your book, but if you pick me, I will give it an honest effort.

• 3 weeks later...

Brian

I would be pleased to look your book over. At 72 I am still formulating what my form of Christianity should be, and what God expects of me and my life. My email is oldnavy@gulftel.com

I read a lot and lead a discussion group on religious topics, so I am not sure how quickly I will be able to review your book, but if you pick me, I will give it an honest effort.

Thanks Bill. Copy on the way. As a newcomer to this forum I thought I'd be emailed when a response to a posting was made. I've discovered my mistake and will keep a more regular eye on postings in future.

Brian

Hey Brian,

I try to read one non-fiction book a week. I believe that a person never gets too old to learn (I am almost 85). I am pretty much a fan of Bishop John Shelby Spong. I would be glad to read your book and give you some comment on it. I suspect that you would not need to send me the whole book. Most authors put the "meat" in the introduction and/or first chapter and the final one or two chapters. Or, you could send it to me in pieces - maybe you haven't finished it yet. Anyway, if you want to send me any part or all of your book, my E-mail address is hpscheyeratcomcastdotnet.

Good luck and best wishes,

Hal

Brian, I would suggest putting maybe 5 to ten pages on a new thread and that way more people will respond. I am sure you will get a lot of feed back and maybe some material for your rewrite.

Archived