Looking For A Place To Rest

Jake

I used to post here frequently, but I took a break from the forum for some more internal reflection. I still do not know that i belong here. I do not identify with the term "Christian". I am a Jesus Freak. I look to his life and teachings for guidance, but I look to many spiritual advisors, from numerous faith disciplines for guidance. I do not agree with the organized Western Churches, or our American Christian Industrial Complex, or most of the politico/economic front that advertises itself as "Christianity" in this country.

So, to the moderators, do I have a place here to commune with others, or as a self-proclaimed "other than Christian" should I refrain from participation in a forum that uses the title "Christian" and the statement "We are Christians..." in it's guidelines?

I used to post here frequently, but I took a break from the forum for some more internal reflection. I still do not know that i belong here. I do not identify with the term "Christian". I am a Jesus Freak. I look to his life and teachings for guidance, but I look to many spiritual advisors, from numerous faith disciplines for guidance. I do not agree with the organized Western Churches, or our American Christian Industrial Complex, or most of the politico/economic front that advertises itself as "Christianity" in this country.

So, to the moderators, do I have a place here to commune with others, or as a self-proclaimed "other than Christian" should I refrain from participation in a forum that uses the title "Christian" and the statement "We are Christians..." in it's guidelines?

Jake--I would say that you should suit yourself. I am a Christian but also understand the difficulties in finding a place where you feel comfortable and where you feel accepted. I'm not aware of what traditions you have looked at, but certainly there are many spiritual paths that are available to all of us--Christian or otherwise. Good luck.

Jake, I am not a moderator, but I do tend to frequent this forum without identifying as a Christian. Not much of one for labels, but if pushed I would tag "Pure Land Buddhist" to my jacket. I have been made welcome, and find the threads here informative, challenging and comfortable to participate in.

But anyhow, whatever, you have to find your own "comfort" zone. I can't actually speak for any moderator, but I would have thought that they would not seek to make things difficult for you.

You might also surf around a bit for other forums. There are many out there.

All the best

tariki

Jake I think you are more than welcome and we can learn from you and all disciplines. I call myself Christian, but I am more into Christian mysticism than any institution. I feel when I am with a Muslim I try to learn from them and make them a better Muslim. The knowledge I gain from them makes me a better Christian. You are more than welcome to put the oil of enlightenment in the lantern within me.

Hi Jake,

Good to see you back. Without a doubt on my part as moderator and Admin you are most welcome to fellowship here. The guidelines are only for general definition of those who consider themselves progressive Christians and within them welcome those of all labels as long as they are respectful of differing views. The progressive Christian area of the forum is limited to those who are in general agreement with those guidelines even if they call themselves by another label but the rest of the forum is open to those who may take exception to one or more of them, again, as long as there is refrain from disrespectful and belittling remarks . Diversity with mutual respect for differing views to me makes this forum more interesting.

Joseph

Archived