The Teachings Of Jesus

Guest billmc

Marsha,

Your mention of Ken Wilber makes me think the following link would be of interest to you....

Ticket to Athens

Also, I would recommend his book "Grit and Grace", which is atuobiographical, and documents the five or so years in which he lived through the onset of breast cancer of his wife and her subsequent death.

Anyway, all the best.

Derek

Nick, I'm not personally into Catholic Theology, nor its rituals. My own background is very low Church (can't begin to say HOW low!!) If I were to get into any particular theology it would perhaps be Eastern Orthodox, but I doubt I will ever do so. Its more that I open to particular "mentors", two in particular being Thomas Merton and Nyanaponika Thera, a Theravada monk. (The fact that instinctively I have a mistrust of monastacism is just one of those quirks that demonstrates that real life often has nothing to do with our own preferences!)

I love first and foremost the letters of Merton, maybe because much of there content escaped the vigilance of the censors. The volume entitled "The Hidden Ground of Love" was - and is - a revelation to me. So full of various gems of the spirit and set in a style that is never didactic, letters written to people of all faiths, and many of none.

You mention being like a 5 year old child, which is just how I feel each time I dip into the little "Pocket Merton" I carry around with me. I open it at random many times, and let the "spirit" speak.

All the best

Derek

Thanks for sharing that with me. My personal trajectory has some similar elements, but that's a different thread in a different sub-forum.

Marsha,

Your mention of Ken Wilber makes me think the following link would be of interest to you....

Ticket to Athens

Also, I would recommend his book "Grit and Grace", which is atuobiographical, and documents the five or so years in which he lived through the onset of breast cancer of his wife and her subsequent death.

Anyway, all the best.

Derek

Thanks so much, Derek! I will check out the link. I ordered a book by Wilber called "The Essential Ken Wilber", which is an overview of his work. Thought I would start there and then I'll have an idea of what I might want to read after that. Appreciate your input! :)

Archived