Hello From Marsha

Marsha

Hello!

First I'd like to thank Joseph for helping me register here. As I told him, I have recently become very interested in Progressive/Liberal Christianity and I was really wanting to discuss some of it in a forum like this. So, thank you, Joseph.

Briefly, I've been somewhat of a spiritual "seeker" all my life, but never seeming able to settle on anything in particular.

Raised in the Baptist Church

Studied and practiced eastern religions as a young adult

Left religion altogether in my 40's

Had a series of very unfortunate events occur, which had me longing for something spiritual in my life again

Joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) in my 50's

Left the Mormons and went back to mainstream Christianity (Conservative Evangelicalism), which is where I am worshipping now, but have had difficulty with unbelief and really fitting into this conservative environment. Same problems I had with the Mormons...just really difficult to believe a lot of it, even though I wanted to.

So, recently, I have discovered Bishop John Shelby Spong, and have been enjoying his book "A New Christianity for a New World". THIS I can really get my teeth into and believe without constantly having to ask God to bolster my "unbelief".

So, here I am. I am 65 years old. Live in Southern California. Retired State worker. Three children, five grandchildren. Husband and I travel a little and just enjoying life, at this point.

Excited to meet all of you and join in the conversations. :-)

Welcome, Marsha!

Raised in the Baptist Church

Me, too! And Assembly of God, Pentecostal, and Bible Churches. I'm a mutt.

So, recently, I have discovered Bishop John Shelby Spong, and have been enjoying his book "A New Christianity for a New World". THIS I can really get my teeth into and believe without constantly having to ask God to bolster my "unbelief".

I also enjoy most, if not all, of Jack's books and his outlook on Christianity and a way forward for progressive Christianity.

So, here I am. I am 65 years old. Live in Southern California. Retired State worker. Three children, five grandchildren. Husband and I travel a little and just enjoying life, at this point.

Nice to meet you! Jump on in, the water's fine! :D

Nice to meet you, Bill! :)

I see we share a similar upbringing. I was exposed to Assembly of God and other charismatic churches, through my grandparents and friends, so those are all familar to me, as well.

Thanks for the nice welcome. :)

I've been perusing the threads a little, before I post anything.

Hi again Marsha,

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to report the registering problem. There is no telling how many others had the same problem this year and just gave up on trying to register.

Thanks also for sharing a bit about yourself. Your story though unique is similar to many others here. Looking forward to your sharing of your views and concerns. I am also at the stage of traveling a bit and enjoying life. Will be heading to warmer country next week (Southern Florida) where i will continue to monitor the forum under more favorable weather than we are now getting in Kentucky. smile.gif

Joseph

Joseph, thank you again for the help in registering. I am really enjoying reading here, so far, and hope to participate as I have time.

You must be a "snow bird", eh? :) That's great! Hubby and I just got back from a visit to your beautiful State of Kentucky. My brother-in-law lives there (in Lexington). That was the first time we had gone to visit Kentucky, in all these years. He had always come to us, out here in California, because he grew up out here and just enjoyed coming back to visit. But, this time, we decided to go to him, and I'm really glad we did, as Kentucky is a beautiful State, and we had a really nice time there.

To Soma...thank you for the very nice welcome! :)

Archived