Looking For Something New...

Micah

I'm looking to connect with some other folks in my area who have the same basic thoughts on Christianity. It seems that everyone is extremely conservative. I have a two year old daughter and I'd like her to have some other children to play with as well. My wife and I are both very active in our conference and national church, but not really in our local church. There are plenty of other churches in our area, but they are all much too conservative and we end up having significant differences in basic views. We'd be happy to be part of an on line community, but we both think that being part of a local community of believers as well. Many of the area pastors are excellent, but the communities they serve are just too same minded. The issue is that the area we live in is too conservative, but it's where we work and where our families are. It's a tough spot to be in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We live in Northest Pennsylvania...

Hi Micah,

I definitely understand where you're coming from, since I've been looking for a good spiritual community to be part of for a little while. I've found that meetup.com is a pretty good way to organize local groups with like-minded individuals. I've been batting around the idea of starting a liberal/progressive Christian fellowship in my area - nothing fancy, probably a monthly or bi-weekly dinner-gathering with a discussion and perhaps some devotional prayers/poems. And I'm willing to bet that my area isn't too far from your area; I'm in Wilkes-Barre.

Peace to you,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Mike,

Sorry, I haven't been on for a while and just saw your post! Thanks for the response. No you aren't too far away...I'm a bit closer to Allentown, but we have family in Hazelton. We're in the same general area. Right now it's just good to be able to connect with someone fairly close by to have discussions with! Again, thanks for the response!

Micah

Hello! And welcome to this board. Im pretty new to it, too....have you thought of trying the episcopalian church? I have truly found a "home" within this church! Its christian, beautiful service, communion every week, focus on Jesus, but there is a very open feeling, all ideas looked at and talked about, and most important, a real respect for people of other religions and other paths to finding God - it was very important to me to find a church that had this stance. I have heard from other people on this board that they found a home here, too. Ofcourse I realize there are many battles withing the anglican/episcopalian church, and many unresolved issues, but in terms of the service, the message my kids are getting at sunday school, and the open, loving feeling, its wonderful.

Zaidagal

Archived