Hi From North Carolina

Guest wnc_sharon

Guest wnc_sharon

Just wanted to briefly introduce myself. My name is Sharon, I live in western North Carolina, and I attend a small Methodist church. Theologically, I'm really more of a Christian pantheist. As I just heard Deepak Chopra recently say on a TV show, "God became the Universe." That's how I pretty much look at it, so in reality I tend to look at things differently than most people in my church do. I only returned to church a few months ago (after years away) after the death of my father. It seemed the right time to do it, as I've had quite a love and affection for Jesus for years that I couldn't shake even when I tried to. Then recently I began wondering, "what have I done?" I felt like a fish out of water so decided to back away, thinking church and Christianity just aren't for me. But I had occasion to find out shortly afterwards that I missed the people, the sense of community, and that maybe disagreeing with other members about the factuality of the Bible and its stories, poems, etc., didn't need to prevent me from participating in that community, loving, sharing, caring, and focusing on the meaning of the stories beyond whether they were or were not factual. As you can tell, I've read some of Marcus Borg's work :) At any rate, I decided to stop hopping around trying to find the "perfect" (nonexistent) spiritual community to meet people face to face and go ahead and plant myself and grow some roots, discovering that there are also a couple of online groups where I can share other ideas and perspectives when I feel the need to do so, this being one of them. As I wrote in a blog post earlier today, maybe I'll actually learn something if I open up my heart and mind and take a risk instead of running away, and who knows, maybe I can contribute something to someone else in the process.

I look forward to participating here in the future. It looks like a welcoming and compassionate place to share.

Blessings,

Sharon

Sharon, Welcome and my Christianity is similar to yours. You have landed in the right place. The ideas and concepts on Christianity build a consciousness here that is synergistic in that the whole becomes greater than the parts. The group consciousness helps the individual consciousnesses expand. I say that from my experience. Salutations to the Spirit within you. Soma

Hi Sharon, and welcome. When I was living in Tennessee I visited WNC several times. It's fearsomely beautiful country. The portion of Pennsylvania where I live now (Metropolitan Philadelphia) is near Appalachia, but much of it is built up even to the mountains, and I hope that's not the case where you live. IIRC it wasn't that way years ago when last I was there. Look forward to your continuing presence here.

Hi Sharon,

Im a long-time reader of Marcus Borg too to me he seems like the clearest voice of liberal/progressive Christianity. There was a discussion here of his recent book with John Crossan, The First Paul, a few months ago. Also I have fond memories of the Asheville area went to the Warren Wilson MFA program. Do you have a blog? look forward to hearing more from you--welcome.

Welcome Sharon! Your words about the "perfect community" made me think of the old joke about the guy searching long and hard for the perfect wife, eventually found her, but she turned him down because she was looking for the perfect husband!

Anyway, hope you like it here and find a few things to join in with.

tariki

(Derek)

Guest wnc_sharon

Thanks, everyone, for the great welcome. I really appreciate that. I do have a blog actually, The View From Raindrop Ridge - about everyday simple life and how I find it really extraordinary and spiritual. I look forward to looking through the different conversations here and getting more of an idea of who is here and then jumping into some of those discussions. The next couple of weeks will be a little crazy for me, though, as two weeks from tomorrow my baby girl is getting married. It's still hard to believe but I'm so happy for her, for them. Right now I'm starting to feel a little more like the frazzled mother of the bride :rolleyes:

Blessings,

Sharon

Thanks, everyone, for the great welcome. I really appreciate that. I do have a blog actually, The View From Raindrop Ridge - about everyday simple life and how I find it really extraordinary and spiritual. I look forward to looking through the different conversations here and getting more of an idea of who is here and then jumping into some of those discussions. The next couple of weeks will be a little crazy for me, though, as two weeks from tomorrow my baby girl is getting married. It's still hard to believe but I'm so happy for her, for them. Right now I'm starting to feel a little more like the frazzled mother of the bride :rolleyes:

Blessings,

Sharon

Sharon-welcome-your story is very much like mine. thanks bob ve

Archived