What Is The Soul?

Neon Genesis

Jenell,

To simplifiy the article which I have not read deeply, Hornet is a dualist: he believes that the soul and body are two separate things or essences. In reading the article I find that I am a panexperientialist: the soul and body are different aspects of the same thing, me, of all of life. The soul, or rather our awakening selves, or our emerging consciousness is part of our body and they cannot be separated because they are related internally, subjectively.

Abbott notes that reductionist approach is necessary but it is not complete. It misses the point that the whole is more than some of its parts. Through evolution and emergence there is a qualitative change that can't be sufficiently accounted for by physics.

"What else is there?: levels of abstraction (this seems to be a computer programming term also)

The goal of science is to understand and explain nature at all levels. Reducing away objectively real and and explanatory powerful levels of abstractions is bad science.

About our "elite" views, if we are in community - church - we can influence language used. I am just trying to find language that is honest for me in table graces and other ritual prayers. And learning how to say what I believe in as simple terms as possible along with it's implications. I also influence students in by Sunday School class. In Bible study one looks for for God and humans working jointly as equals. How can that view give new insight?

Dutch

Dutch

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the soul is a non-physical aspect separate from the body, what happens to your soul if you get Alzheimers and forget who you are? Does the soul also lose all its memories of you? What if you suffer a brain injury and your personality changes completely from before? Which soul goes to heaven? The one before you got a brain injury or the soul after the brain injury?

The soul would get Alzheimer's disease as well. The brain and the soul interact with each other.

Any personality change would involve the soul. There is only one soul per person. The soul would change after brain injury so it would go to heaven if the body dies after brain injury. Once the soul enters heaven, it can be restored to its original condition.

Archived