Essay From John Macmurray

Rennyo

Rennyo, Thank you for the link. I like what John said about 'Faith being Trust' and the opposite of fear. He relates fear to sin and that Jesus came not to destroy, but to complete. The answer to fear and sin seems to be Trust. I like the conclusions he draws and the clear picture he paints. Thanks again Soma

Thanks for posting this link - I agree that when Jesus used the term ‘faith’ he opposed it not to unbelief but to fear. We need salvation not so much from sin as from fear. The mission of Jesus was to replace fear in our hearts with confidence and trust.

His thought reminds me somehow of the Quaker theologian, Thomas Kelly.

From another site -- one of MacMurray’s central ideas was that the mission of the Christian is not service but friendship. Some quotes:

“Friendship is the fundamental religious fact in human life.”

“The truly religious man will talk little about God.”

“There is no ‘I’ without a ‘You’...This mutuality of the personal is the basic

fact of religion.”

“Let us stop building defences around ourselves. It is not from other people

that we need to be saved, but from our fear of other people.”

“Nothing that is not inherently beautiful is really good.”

“All of us, without exception because we are persons, are essentially artists.”

“All meaningful knowledge is for the sake of action, and all meaningful action is

for the sake of friendship.”

I like those quotes, thanks. Here are some to enjoy.

Edgar Cayce says,

Learn to live with self and you will learn to live with others.

Andrew Murray says,

Beware in your prayer, above everything, of limiting God, not only by unbelief, but by fancying that you know what He can do.

William Ashley says

Going to church doesn't make you a Christian, any more than going to a garage makes you an automobile.

He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap.

1 Timothy 3:6-8

so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-13

Archived