Kids Write Letters To God

This reminds me of an article I read along time ago on infidels.org. I managed to find it here. The author is a secularist, but allowed his child to go to a religious school, to be exposed to different beliefs. I thought what his child said was so amusing and strikingly honest.

Earlier this year on the way home from school, she told me about a chat she'd had that day with Mrs. W, her teacher at the abovementioned Lutheran preschool. "I told Mrs. W I think God is just pretend. But I said I'm still thinking about it. And I asked if she thinks God is pretend."

I looked at her in the rearview mirror, munching on the apple I'd for once remembered to bring for her snack, so beautifully innocent of the fact that she had stood with her little toes at the edge of an age-old chasm, shouting a courageous and ancient question to her teacher on the far rim. My daughter, you see, hasn't heard that there are unaskable questions.

"So what'd Mrs. W say?"

"She said no," Laney said, matter-of-factly. "She said, 'I think God is very real.'"

"Uh huh. Then what did you say, Laney?"

"I said, 'That's okay--as long as you're still thinking about it, too.'"

Archived