Introducing Myself

Bryan Sirchio

Hi folks,

I'm brand new to this site, but am really delighted to be joining this "community." I'm a progressive Christian singer/songwriter and recording artist. I'm an ordained UCC minister, but for the past 23 years I've been engaged in a full-time itinerant music ministry. I travel around the country, do concerts, lead retreats, lead worship services, etc. I've also worked extensively over the years with ministries affiliated with the Church of the Saviour in Washington, D.C. (Ministry of Money, now called "Faith and Money Network," and "Harvest Time"--both of these organizations focus on economic justice from a bilbical perspective). I've done extensive work also in the country of Haiti for the past 20 years, and a lot of my songs were born out of experiences in Haiti.

I'm currently writing a book called "Progressive Christian Worship Music: What it is, Why it's Needed, and Where to Find it"

I'd love to be in discussion with folks in this community about this whole area of new music for progressive congregations to sing together, and perhaps have some of you take a look at excerpts of the book and respond if you're interested. Just trying to finetune my own perspectives, learn from others, and bounce ideas around with others who are interested in this topic.

I'll look forward to being in touch, and hopefully to some mutually enriching conversation,

Bryan Sirchio

Greetings Bryan, welcome to the board. I've seen interest here in progressive Christian music, mainly wondering where, if at all, it can be found. I'd be delighted if you shared your experiences and thoughts here, and perhaps even some of your work, if you are ok with that. I've really had no experience of progressive Christian music and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Peace to you,

Mike

Bryan, welcome!

I find music to be very spiritual and exciting. I'm very interested in Progressive Christian Music. I love singing at church, and not the typical music, but more modern. I've recently gone to a church with a band and I love it, so I'm super excited to hear what you do! I look forward to learning more.

R

Greetings Bryan, welcome to the board. I've seen interest here in progressive Christian music, mainly wondering where, if at all, it can be found. I'd be delighted if you shared your experiences and thoughts here, and perhaps even some of your work, if you are ok with that. I've really had no experience of progressive Christian music and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Peace to you,

Mike

Hi Mike (and others who responded to my initial post?)

I'm still trying to figure out how this site works--I'm not sure if I'm replying personally to you Mike, or if this will be posted for everyone, etc. I guess I'll figure it out as I go. In any case, thanks to the 4 folks who have responded to my initial introduction of myself and my invitation to discuss Progressive Christian Music, and Progressive Christian Worship Music in particular.

Some of you asked about me sharing some of my work here. I'm not sure how to best do that, but I'd be happy to. I guess the quickest and easiest way for any of you who are interested in learning more about me and what my music sounds like is for you to visit my website www.bryansirchio.com. I've written and recorded lots of different kinds of music for different age groups over the years -- CDs for young children, for teens, and for adults. What makes me a bit different from most of the "Contemporary Christian Music" on the radio, etc. is the theology of my lyrics and the kinds of things I write about.

Most of my music until recent years was solo stuff--you know--songs people would listen to me sing either on the radio, CD, or in person. In the last few years though I've been focusing more on writing some new stuff that more progressive congregations can sing together in the context of worship. I've released a new CD, songbook, and other accompanying materials to make it easy for churches to bring this new music into their worship life. This new project is called "Something Beautiful For God," and you can listen to clips of the songs and check out the lyrics on my website if you like.

Janet, if you see this post I'd love to hear some of the music you're writing, and I'm always eager to learn about other contemporary Christian artists and songwriters who are theologically progressive.

I'll let this be enough for now, and look forward to further discussion about all of this.

Grace and Peace,

Bryan Sirchio

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for sharing the site, I look forward to hearing some of your music.

As to your post, don't worry, it is visible to everyone here. The only way you can correspond privately with another member is through the private messaging system. When you click "reply" to a certain post, that puts that entire post in quotations in your own response.

Please note that I combined your two posts so that your post includes the quote.

I'll give you some feedback as soon as I check out your site.

Thanks.

Peace to you,

Mike

Archived