Starting A Book Study ?

murmsk

Let me introduce myself

I am steve murmann member and moderator of a congregational church in west central illinois

For years we have limped along slowly loosing membership . 3 years ago it came to close of re-evaluate and change. I was ready to close. But God had other plans!

as we contemplated our future be began to study "living the Questions" DVD series and wholly cow people who think like me!!! I am not alone in my questionings. We were not alone. The more we read the more we realized that our christian community was progressive but did not know it. Sunday we voted to re-plant our church as an Inclusive, Progressive, Intentional Christian Church. THE WORK STARTS NOW!!! When I showed the 8 points the biggest argument we got was "I agree with everything except the word progressive with the rub being that this was the way the church was until the fundamentalists began speaking for all Christians.

So here we are heading down a familiar road but this time we are going to try and keep our eyes open.

I am hoping to open some dialog with others who are on this path too.

I have no book in mind and was hoping some (who have been on the road longer) could suggest good studies and we can read/study together. We have read books by Borg, Spong, Crossen, Meyers . We could choose one of them or a different one. a chapter a week???

steve

hello Steve,

If others are interested I’d like to read and discuss Saving Jesus from the Church by Robin Meyers-- from a quick look at reviews it sounds worthwhile. Or The First Paul by Marcus Borg.

I have read saving jesus from the church great book and well worth reading again! First Paul is on my list of future reads so eather would be great.

are there any others interested??

steve

It would probably take one more person to get a good discussion going. Meyers’ book on Jesus might draw more interest than the Borg & Crossan book on Paul - ? Maybe Steve could choose since he brought up the topic -- either one is fine with me.

It would probably take one more person to get a good discussion going. Meyers’ book on Jesus might draw more interest than the Borg & Crossan book on Paul - ? Maybe Steve could choose since he brought up the topic -- either one is fine with me.

The Meyers book is more of a comment on the present/future of Christianity plus a blueprint and argument for Progressive Christianity

The Borg/Crossen book as I understand it is presenting a historic/metaphoric understanding of the books considered to be written by Paul

One is a bible study the other is a church study

I am happy with either

Yes I would be nice to get at least one more reader

steve

Shall we start with The First Paul then? My library’s copy is reserved for months so I’m ordering a used one from amazon– if anyone wants to begin I could catch up when it arrives. Maybe others will join in if they have time.

To All,

Since Steve initiated the thread and polled others for interest, it would seem good to me that Steve decide on which book and lead the thread based on his inputs and personal choice. Unless of course, he wishes to pass the lead to another.

JosephM (as Moderator)

Joseph,

with all due respect, if you look at my post from yesterday I was asking Steve if he would choose which book. I'm not trying to lead the discussion, sorry if it appeared that way. Since Steve didn’t have a clear preference I was just making a suggestion, that’s all.

First Paul it is !! I ordered it from amazon today. When it gets here we can begin.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Paul-Reclaiming-Visionary-Conservative/dp/0061430730/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269636382&sr=8-1

I am most comfortable with books being chosen by the group rather than just me. I am a Congregationalist after all..... We can't turn the thermostat down without a vote. :)

While my wife shopped for dresses I spent an afternoon on Barns and Nobel reading The book by Karen Armstrong. I would be a good study too!!

I am excited about this and hope this is the beginning of great study and discussions.

We should introduce ourselves. I think i already have (see above)

steve

Joseph,

with all due respect, if you look at my post from yesterday I was asking Steve if he would choose which book. I'm not trying to lead the discussion, sorry if it appeared that way. Since Steve didn't have a clear preference I was just making a suggestion, that's all.

Hi Karen,

Was not at all directed toward you. It was directed to All and was more for Steve's benefit since he was new. He asked for suggestions and you responded properly. I assure you that no offence was meant.

JosephM (as Moderator)

Hi Steve. First Paul sounds like a very interesting read and I'm looking forward to discussing it. As far as introductions - I'm Mike. Member of a Presbyterian church, which, though not ideal for me, will do for now. I'm not particularly intelligent (and am simply terrible with numbers), but I tend to stay with the questions that are important to me for a long time, continually finding things to renew my interest in them. Hopefully together we can wring out some truth from our book of choice, no?

Peace to you,

Mike

Armstrong's book is packed with tons of info which could keep us talking about it for months which is one of the reasons why I love her books. I'm Neon Genesis and I'm a former fundamentalist Christian. I deconverted from the Church Of Christ a few years ago. I don't belong to any church now nor do I identify myself as a Christian. What I identify myself as differs from day to day it seems. Sometimes I identify myself as an agnostic atheist, other days I'm a naturalistic pantheist. If I have any spirituality at all, I lean towards pantheism but I do have a great deal of respect for progressive Christianity and I have a lot of interest in biblical scholarship and religious history. I'm also a big fan of Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan and I don't believe anyone knows the one true way.

Steve & all,

thanks for starting this topic. I grew up going to a Congregational church, though my parents were/are not believers. I became drawn to faith while studying Renaissance poetry was slowly convinced against my will through a decade of reading and meditating. I see myself as a closet Christian who rarely goes to church and relates to faith mainly through writing & prayer. Ive read a lot of PC books, but as a middle aged person my mind is not as sharp as when I was an English major (!) I agree with Marcus Borgs view of the bible though I tend to be more open to the possibility of the miraculous.

My book should be here sometime early next week.

I am excited to study Paul since he is historically the earliest discussion of Jesus. I have not read much of the bible since I have read Borgs "Reading the Bible again for the first time" so it is going to be interesting so see what new subtleties emerge.

What bible version do people find the most enjoyable?

steve

When I'm just reading on my own, I usually use the NKJV bible. I like that it retains the poetic beauty of the KJV bible but makes it a little easier to understand without the thees and thous and corrects some of the more embarrassing mistakes in the KJV's translation. If I'm in a debate with someone, I tend to use the NRSV since it has a more accurate translation.

Guest billmc

If others are interested I’d like to read and discuss Saving Jesus from the Church by Robin Meyers-- from a quick look at reviews it sounds worthwhile.

Karen, I've recently listened to a few podcast from Meyers and a number of his sermons. I've enjoyed them so far. I know ya'll are going to do the book on Paul, but would you care to give a personal review of Meyers' book? Strengths? Weaknesses?

Archived