Hello!

ada

Hi there :)

I've browsed this board on occasion but I always end up forgetting to register. This time I managed to remember and not let it slide ;)

I'm coming up on 28 years old... I live just outside Vancouver, BC, Canada -- I'm happily married working a mundane office job. We're a child-free couple, a progressive Christian (me) married to an Agnostic (him), we have one cat, and we attend a small Anglican parish with Progressive values (affiliated with TCPC).

I was actually Pagan (mostly Wiccan) for most of my youth (12 through 17-ish) before I became a Christian. I felt drawn to the faith and I fell in love with God in the faith; however, conservative and fundamental values kept pushing me away from God throughout my journey in Christianity. I almost left the faith behind twice as a result, but each time felt called back strongly to keep going. I think God has a real purpose for me in Christianity and I'm happy to explore it... when I finally branched into Progressive Christianity, I knew I had finally found a stable spiritual home.

I've since strengthened my faith and have become an advocate for progressive Christian values. I'm just a nobody in this world, so I'm never sure what kind of impact I'll have on the world, but now and again someone approaches me for something I've said or done (I frequent a forum or two, for instance, where I introduce others to what I believe on a regular basis) and thanks me. Maybe I won't be that person who touches millions, but I can live with one or two. That's still an amazing accomplishment.

I run a website called Reclaiming God where I outline my beliefs. It is based on Progressive Christianity and I encourage people to explore Progressive Christianity, but the site itself is one made up of my personal values, and as a result not even most Progressives or Liberals might believe everything I have to say.. which is fine. The project wasn't about pacifying the masses, but rather it was about showing that a regular average joe(jane?) could have profound thoughts on faith that mattered. Maybe I don't have a Masters in Divinity or any kind of religious training, but I firmly believe each individual's thoughts matter strongly, for their own lives and perhaps for the lives of others.

Anyway.. I could ramble on for ages, but I just thought I'd introduce myself and have a look around. I can't say I'm big on debating (I'm a live-and-let-live kinda person) but I do enjoy discussion, I hope to come across some interesting ones :)

Cheers,

~ Ada

Ada,

As no one else has jumped in, I would extend my greetings to you. I normally leave it to others as strictly speaking I am not a PC, but a Pure Land Buddhist, but nevertheless I say WELCOME and note you have already made your mark elsewhere on the forum!

Personally I don't mind anyone "rambling on", as this is one of my own traits, for good or ill.......and "live and let live sounds good to me.

Well, see you around

All the best

Derek

Anyway.. I could ramble on for ages, but I just thought I'd introduce myself and have a look around. I can't say I'm big on debating (I'm a live-and-let-live kinda person) but I do enjoy discussion, I hope to come across some interesting ones :)

Cheers,

~ Ada

Hiya Ada

I got so carried away looking at your site, I forgot to say hello. :)

I already emailed you separately, but hello here as well.

C

xxx

Welcome aboard Ada. I've enjoyed reading some of your posts throughout the board; you've joined at a busy time when participation is a little low it seems. When I have some more free time, and I will shortly, I'd like to respond to your threads. I agree that one certainly doesn't need a degree to make a contribution that matters. Being 'nobody' is actually a gift when used skillfully; too much trouble tends to come with being 'somebody'.

Peace to you,

Mike

Thanks for the welcome :)

Forums are my life (I suffer from anxiety conditions, primarily Agoraphobia, so my best way to connect with others is most definitely forum-life), but joining a forum so small is actually a little unnerving. I feel as though my every post can be watched and scrutinized, LOL.

I'm more of a live-and-let-live type. I enjoy sharing, I enjoy reading, but debating... eh, I'm not the biggest fan. I try to involve myself in "debates" by sharing and simply reading from there on out, which is difficult ... I used to be a big debater years ago, and frankly I've enriched my life a lot more by keeping my mouth closed and my eyes open, and expressing any "debatey trends" through personal blogs away from the source, directed at no one... I find discussion far more productive than debate, I suppose.

I'm involved on a couple of large mainstream Christian forums... I don't fit right in, to say the least.

Hmm, oh well :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like your site and agree with many of the thoughts you expressed there. I am a former fundamentalist. It would appear that we have traveled similar spiritual roads. I don't post much, but read the thoughts of others on a regular basis. I hope this site turns out to be a blessing for you.

Archived