Here I Stand By John Shelby Spong

spiritseeker

What an inspiration! This book is John Shelby Spongs autobiography. I decided to read it first before I read any of his other books as I wanted to find out what this guy was all about. I am so glad that I did as he has lived his life being true to himself and standing up for what he believes.

He is not afraid to question scripture and look at it from a modern angle which relates to the world we live in today.

It is a brilliant book to have and I have now started Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalists.

I really admired Spong’s autobiography too. It was sad to read how much anxiety and hardship he had growing up, and with his own family. Yet he developed so much courage in dealing with issues of racism, sexism, homophobia, church reform, etc. In person he seemed warm, humorous, and humble. His life and work is an inspiration.

I really admired Spong’s autobiography too. It was sad to read how much anxiety and hardship he had growing up, and with his own family. Yet he developed so much courage in dealing with issues of racism, sexism, homophobia, church reform, etc. In person he seemed warm, humorous, and humble. His life and work is an inspiration.

I haven't read this, but I like his work in general. In fact, Why Christianity Must Change or Die is one of the books that have influenced me the most. My only real issue with his work is that I think he doesn't go far enough.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read Here I Stand yet although I want to, but I have read Spong's books Rescuing The Bible From Fundamentalism and Why Christianity Must Change Or Die. What I enjoy about his books is that he makes a case for Christianity that's rational and makes sense while is also inspiring and powerful. Anyone who thinks PCs are just cherry pickers or that PCs aren't serious about their faith should read one of Spong's books.

Archived