The Essential Writings Of Christian Mysticism

Shekinah

This is a book I'm reading, more like skipping around sections. The author is a scholar on Christianity and mysticism and compiled hundreds of inner works throughout the ages, arranged in very logical categories. Each piece gives you just enough to get a feel for each mystic. Very recommended if you're tired of spending money on the whole texts of each of these people.

Also, what I've found from reading the mystics, is that they quote and reinterpret the Bible and conventional Christian beliefs from such a deep allegorical standpoint, that it dehypnotizes you from the everyday way of looking at Christianity and its implications.

Shekinah,

Thanks for recommending this book—ordered it after looking at the table of contents. There’s a wide representation of authors and an interesting way of organizing their writings. I’m glad to see a number of women mystics – Julian of Norwich, Hildegard of Bingen, Teresa of Avila, Catherine of Genoa, Mechthild of Magdeburg, Simone Weil, Angela of Foligno, Madame Guyon, among others.

Archived