Myth And Ritual In Christianity, By Alan Watts

Shekinah

Has anyone read this book? Old copies are available on Amazon. Divided into the Christian seasons, Alan Watts painstakingly examines the most orthodox Catholic liturgy to show the hidden depth of what Christian practice is all about. I'm not sure if this was written during his Days as an Episcopal Priest or not. I think it may have been right after. When he grew frustrated with trying to wake Christians up to its inner world. He may have lived a generation too early.

I haven't read that one. Watts does another exposition of Christianity in Behold the Spirit, which I've looked through but not completely. I take it the book you suggest is worth a read? :) Perhaps I can get it within a week or so and then we can discuss it.

I read a good amount of Behold the Spirit. Many Alan Watts fans seem to put that book up highly, but I found it too all over the place, and he seemed to be on a kick about society and religion as we know it, ending soon, back then.

I find the above mentioned book to be superb. Just be prepared to read the majority of the hyms and liturgy for the Catholic year in great detail. There are connections there that will have your jaw dropping. You'll be saying to yourself "this is the religion I was brought up with?!"

Archived