Just Arrived

Javelin

Ive been reading this forum for a few months now. I tried to sign on as a new member several times without success. There was a validation problem which the administrator solved. Seems like everything is working properly now.

I was a member of an ultra conservative Christian fundamentalist group for more than 20 years. In retrospect, this group likely would qualify as a cult or at least a modified cult. At one time I was into their thinking and drank their Kool Aid. As time passed I began to question their teaching and traditions. That lead me to study scripture from a different perspective. I stopped focusing on interpreting the original language and started focusing on the historical aspects of the bible and Christianity. Those studies convinced me that I needed to make some changes in my beliefs and religious affiliations.

Severing relations with that type of group isnt easy. Their thinking gets into your psyche and it takes both education and effort to terminate that relationship. In my case it took me five years to convince my wife that their teaching was wrong and that we needed to get away from them.

I now consider myself to be a Christian moderate. I no longer believe our present day bibles are inerrant. I have also come to reject the concept of biblical literalism as well. My wife and I currently worship with a non-denominational, grace focused, congregation, but the majority of the members tend to portray fundamentalist thinking and beliefs which places me clearly outside their comfort zone.

Ive come to accept that groups require some level of conformity. All groups tend to reflect some form of acceptable thinking and project displeasure with those whose thinking rest outside the groups generally accepted comfort zone. It seems, from reading comments on this site, this board reflects a higher tolerance for non-traditional thinking than is generally found on other religious discussion boards. At least I hope so because my thinking tends to be outside commonly acceptable religious mainstream beliefs. I am very tolerant of other peoples beliefs, or non beliefs, and views.

Hi Javelin,

A warm welcome to you. I think your perception is correct and I hope you find that we indeed do have a higher tolerance for non traditional thinking. As we progress, often we find that our beliefs and understanding change and therefore it seems good to me not to hold on too tightly to that which is not yet made perfect. This seems to promotes compassion for one another as we realize that we really 'know' very little except that our behavior and actions toward each other speak much louder than what we say we believe. May you find this site a refreshing and encouraging breath of fresh air on your personal journey.

Love in Christ,

Joseph

PS So glad we finally got your email verification out of the way. AOL has been a problem for us as they seem to automatically assume verification emails are unsolicited email and their filters have blocked 4 people this week so far. Two more are in the process of getting alternate addresses.

Hi Javelin,

I just joined as well. I identify with so much of what you said. As I wrote on my introduction I was a conservative fundamentalist for a long time starting at the age of 16. Swallowed it all hook line and sinker. All said and done, it just never worked for me. Totally smothering. There was something that just felt so wrong.

Maybe oddly enough ( and Im sure there are people here who might debate this ) I do believe in absolute Truth,( Do I hear some fleeing from me in terror ? ) :) :), but I think it is immeasurably important for people to have the time and space to figure that all out for themselves, not have someone tell them "whats what"-- adhere or perish

That just aint the way.

There are many things about Christianity I believe in and think are true. Just want to ditch all the baggage that comes with fundamentalism. I too am no longer a bible literalist. When its all said and done I look to the Spirit to confirm for me what is true.

Anyway please forgive my rambling and Welcome. :)

Kris

Hi Javelin,

A warm welcome to you. I think your perception is correct and I hope you find that we indeed do have a higher tolerance for non traditional thinking. As we progress, often we find that our beliefs and understanding change and therefore it seems good to me not to hold on too tightly to that which is not yet made perfect. This seems to promotes compassion for one another as we realize that we really 'know' very little except that our behavior and actions toward each other speak much louder than what we say we believe. May you find this site a refreshing and encouraging breath of fresh air on your personal journey.

Love in Christ,

Joseph

PS So glad we finally got your email verification out of the way. AOL has been a problem for us as they seem to automatically assume verification emails are unsolicited email and their filters have blocked 4 people this week so far. Two more are in the process of getting alternate addresses.

Thanks for both your patience and assistance in getting me validated. Frankly, I'd given up trying to register and moved on. I was surprised to get an email from you yesterday. I've posted on another site for several years, but my biblical beliefs and understandings continued to evolve. That particular board was populated primarily by fundamentalists believers. Eventually my evolving views began to create tension and the tone of the conversations developed an underlying acrimonious sentiment. Religion and politics, after all, are highly charged emotional subjects.

I learned from that experience though and have come to understand that all discussion formats require some level of boundary and conformity. I am keenly aware of that now.

Hi Javelin,

I just joined as well. I identify with so much of what you said. As I wrote on my introduction I was a conservative fundamentalist for a long time starting at the age of 16. Swallowed it all hook line and sinker. All said and done, it just never worked for me. Totally smothering. There was something that just felt so wrong......

There are many things about Christianity I believe in and think are true. Just want to ditch all the baggage that comes with fundamentalism. I too am no longer a bible literalist.

Kris

Thanks for the welcome Kris. It seems we have come to similar conclusions, at least on a few issues.

Archived